Best Way: Image to Thumbnail

SharkBait

Hi,

I am looking at learning to play with the GD by incorporating it into my little site.

I want to be able to upload images and have the GD create a thumbnail and store it in a thumbnail directory and have the original image stored in another directory.  These entries will also be put into a database.

What should I be looking into?  I can't remember that URL for the GD site, but I am sure someone else can.

When I display an image to someone on my site, can I have the GD put a border around the image as well?

Or is it imagemagik that I should be looking into?

Thoughs are some decent tutorials, thanks

Is it possible to create the thumbail on the fly?  What I mean is when a page is loaded and images are to be shown that it shows a tempoary thumbnail instead of the full image?  Or is it best to create the thumbnail upon uploading of the image and just store it?

I've always used lixlpixel's image upload/resize script and create the thumbnails once (at upload time) - http://fundisom.com/phparadise/php/image_handling/image_upload_and_resize

It works 'straight out of the box'.

As for the borders, don't add them to the thumbnails because next week you'll decide you wanted a different colour border. Instead, use some simple CSS to apply padding and a border to the thumbnails when they are displayed.  Then next week, change one line of CSS rather than editing a trillion images :)

Simple thumbnail generator:

[code]
<?php
function generate_thumbnail($imagefile, $thumb_max_dimension = 200, $quality = 90, $directory = "", $thumb_prefix = "thumb_")
{
  /* v1.0.1 (by acdx) */
  $filename_arr = explode(".", basename($imagefile));
  $filetype = $filename_arr[1];

if($filetype == "jpg")
    $filetype = "jpeg";

if($filetype != "jpeg" && $filetype != "gif" && $filetype != "png")
    return false;

$original_size = getimagesize($imagefile);

eval("\$image = imagecreatefrom".$filetype."(\$imagefile);");

if($original_size[0] > $original_size[1])
  {
    if($original_size[0] > $thumb_max_dimension)
      $thumb_width = $thumb_max_dimension;
    else
      $thumb_width = $original_size[0];
    $thumb_height = $original_size[1]*($thumb_width/$original_size[0]);
  }
  else
  {
    if($original_size[1] > $thumb_max_dimension)
      $thumb_height = $thumb_max_dimension;
    else
      $thumb_height = $original_size[1];
    $thumb_width = $original_size[0]*($thumb_height/$original_size[1]);
  }

$thumb = imagecreatetruecolor($thumb_width, $thumb_height);
  imagecopyresampled($thumb, $image, 0, 0, 0, 0, $thumb_width, $thumb_height, $original_size[0], $original_size[1]);
  imagejpeg($thumb, $directory.$thumb_prefix.basename($imagefile).".jpg", $quality);
  imagedestroy($thumb);
  imagedestroy($image);
}
?>
[/code]

Works with jpg, png and gif files.
Note: thumbnails have double extension!

acdx: Ah that works nicely, though it was missing [code=php:0] $image = imagecreatefromjpeg($imagefile); [/code]

AndyB: I was using the one you mentioned but it somehow, didnt resize the image properly.  But I was able to use it and take bits from what acdx posted and now I have a working thumbnail generator.

Now I gota figure out do I create some sorta inline image uploader, or do I just do it seperately and have my article editor select from the database of images?  Oh well thats another topic I suppose.

Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.