Search/results page problem

Hi

I am having trouble getting my results page to display any search results at all. I have followed numerous tutorials and Dreamweaver displays the database records via the Advanced Recordset 'test' button, but when I perform a search using the actual form the following error appears:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_VARIABLE or '$' in d:\web\results.php on line 11

I have checked line 11 and can see no reason why this is happenning. I am new to building search/results pages so if anyone can point me to a tutorial that works (preferably a step by step guide) or help me in any way with this, would be very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Well first of all I have noticed that when you go to www.yoursite.com and see an error page saying that the error is on line 11 and you check line 11 in the code they do not mach up. At lease using DreamWeaver.

I would delete the record set and make it new from scratch. I have noticed this will fix most of the bad code problems, also I have noticed with dreamweaver that if you keep on playing with a record set it will mess it up sooner or latter and you will get that message.

What are you trying to do? Do you have a simple page with a form submitting to a PHP page to look up a record? Also use the Simple record set view, you do not need the advanced for looking up a simple record by one criteria You will just confuse your self using the advanced. If you are looking up a record by more than one criteria you then you would need to use the advanced and put in a SQL statement. Since I see no SQL error I don’t think that is the case. What are you trying to look up?

Thanks for your help!

I only need this thing to look up specific names that are entered by the user and then have the db bring up the name along with other info in the db.

I will try the simple version though, as i was jumping in the deep end to begin with. I will post here if i still have problems...thanks again!

just to bring you up to speed, the search form doesn't seem to be doing anything...I no longer have the sql problem as i corrected the syntax, but the results page only wants to display the first database entry at all times. I can't seem to get it to actually search and bring up the requested name.

Maybe I have configured the search page incorrectly? I have followed a few tutorials now but am getting nowhere.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.