What is this middle-east cooking utensil?

Ken2k7

This is a challenge I got at work.

It's a cooking utensil in the middle east. It's not used to hang anything. Here are the images:

http://www.imged.org/140/7e0d061b861fab9790c11218a7eb718d.jpg

http://www.imged.org/140/372deab6b631d7e281c0882de3c53eb5.jpg

The first one is the full picture. The second one is just a close-up of the logo on it. I think it's Arabic, but I'm not sure. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Note that the official name of this object is *not* in English.

Thanks for any input. I've tried Googling using whatever keywords I can think of and nothing.

I asked a friend what the writing said he came up with..

topline: dastam

underneath: sanaa masriya

He wasn't sure since it's Arabic, but he thought Dastam just means handle and Masr is Egypt. Overall he guessed it said something like egyptian/yemeni handle. He didn't have a clue what it was for. He personally thought it looked a bit like the thing used to churn milk. My personal guess was something to do with pasta but it's perhaps unlikely if it's Egyptian.

Okay game's over. He gave out the answer. None of us were even close to what its functionality is. I can tell you that it's similar to a butter churner. So it is for breaking up a food ingredient, but which one? It starts with an "o". Do you guys want to try guessing the food ingredient or give up? I may consider giving you $20 via paypal if you manage to correctly guess the ingredient. But no random guesses.

Remember, it's an Egyptian cooking tool.

MrAdam is correct. PM me your paypal account if you want the $10. Another $10 is available to whoever manage to guess the dish that device is used for.

P.S.: MrAdam, if you choose to get the other $10, please hold off until then. Otherwise, claim the $10 now but then you can't claim the other $10.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.