MS SQLSRV Driver and Output Parameters

JDTornado

Hi Everyone,

I have just started using the SQLSRV driver from Microsoft so I could work with SQL Server 2008 a bit better, but I am having some problems with the output parameters. I know how to access them by passing a variable by reference if I use "call StoredProcedure(?,?)", but then I have to list out every single parameter in a stored proc, rather than just binding the ones I need like the MSSQL driver does. I have been able to run a stored proc using something like "exec StoredProcedure @i_param1=?". But if I try to include an output parameter by doin something like "exec StoredProcedure @i_param1=?, @o_result=? OUTPUT". I get no value passed back to my variable that was passed by reference. Is anyone aware of a way to do this, or am I literally gonna have to pass every single parameter for every stored proc. Thanks for your advice!

• 3 weeks later...

What happens if you set the variable before that stored procedure and pass that variable by reference rather than value. It seems like you should be able to populate an array that way if you want to return a kind of set or list.

I've actually read all through the help documentation, but that only shows how to execute a stored proc using call, and I would like to use exec so I can use specific parameters instead of needing to have a placeholder for every single parameter.

Although the recommended way to execute store procedures witht the sqlsrv driver is to use the "call" syntax, you can use the EXEC syntax. So if your stored procerdure declares a default value for a param, like for @test here:

CREATE PROCEDURE GetEmployeeSalesYTD
@SalesPerson nvarchar(50),
@test nvarchar(50) = null,
@SalesYTD money OUTPUT
AS
SELECT @SalesYTD = SalesYTD
FROM Sales.SalesPerson AS sp
JOIN HumanResources.vEmployee AS e 
ON e.BusinessEntityID = sp.BusinessEntityID
WHERE LastName = @SalesPerson

...then you shoul be able to do this...

$tsql_callSP = "EXEC GetEmployeeSalesYTD @SalesPerson=?, @SalesYTD=?";
$lastName = "Blythe";
$salesYTD = 0.0;
$params = array( 
                 array($lastName, SQLSRV_PARAM_IN),
                 array($salesYTD, SQLSRV_PARAM_OUT)
               );

/* Execute the query. */
$stmt3 = sqlsrv_query( $conn, $tsql_callSP, $params);
if( $stmt3 === false )
{
     echo "Error in executing statement 3.\n";
     die( print_r( sqlsrv_errors(), true));
}

/* Display the value of the output parameter $salesYTD. */
echo "YTD sales for ".$lastName." are ". $salesYTD. ".";

Does that help?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.