Textareas inside Textareas :(

Zeradin

I am editing code in a textarea(A).  When i end a textarea inside the code it ends the textarea containing it. It cuts off my code and screws up the editor textarea.

My question is like... why doesn't this:

</textarea> end the posting textarea here? how can I fix this problem with what i'm coding? I feel like I need to force the closing tag to close the specific textarea that most recently opened. Thanks.

The code is really simple. I'm working with a CMS that allows you to build websites. So I'm putting code in a textarea. Basically it looks like this:

<!-- this is the text area i'm editing in -->
<textarea id="cms">
<b>some stuff</b>
<textarea id="mycode">stuff in the textarea</textarea>
<input type="submit" />
</textarea>

the first </textarea> closes the containing text area (CMS) and cuts off the rest of my code, rather than closing the "mycode" textarea and so the submit ends up displaying in the CMS, rather than in the code i'm inputting

Textareas can not contain other textareas (or any HTML elements). If you want to have HTML code in your textarea, change all < > to < and >

<textarea id="cms">
<b>some stuff</b>
<textarea id="mycode">stuff in the textarea&lt/textarea>
<input type="submit" />
</textarea>

No, they can contain the other elements, it's just a cms for writing html pages. There are things like codepress etc that are specifically written for writing code in text areas.  If I write > etc it'll just print those characters out on the html page that i'm trying to edit, rather than display the code. I just talk to someone else about it and apparently the way i'm going to try to do it is on submit look for </textarea> and change it to </textarea> and then on the way out change it back. There's gotta be a better solution though.

No they can't contain other HTML elements. They can however contain HTML code that represents them. And no, when you convert  the < > to entities, they will display not display as entities, but as < >.

There's gotta be a better solution though.

Yeah... it's called htmlspecialchars.

I'm working with JSP here so that isn't going to help me.

And that's what I'm saying about how they will display I'll have a set of nice text input boxes and then it'll print out <textarea></textarea> instead of displaying an actual textarea to receive input. I tried it.

I don't understand how you can keep saying "they can't contain html elements" when the whole company I'm working with has based their entire cms around putting html elements in textareas.

I did find a solution that's a complete work around and then another more practical solution that I can't implement. (it's not my cms)

The solution I used: jquery

<script type="text/javascript">
var te = '/textarea';
$("div#textarea").html('<textarea id="message" name="message"><' + te + '>');
</script>
<div id="textarea">
</div>

2. the solution that's better that i couldn't use: div or section with contentEditable

Ok.

This:

<html>
<textarea id="cms">
<b>some stuff</b>
<textarea id="mycode">stuff in the textarea&lt/textarea>
<input type="submit" />
</textarea>
</html>

renders like this:

clipboard01q.png

Is this what you expect, or do you wish to have an actual textarea nested within a textarea?

No. I think that we're talking about different things. It'd be like if where I'm typing this message now I could put like <b> hi</b> and it would work and then even <textarea></textarea> and the box would show up in my post.

the cms is for building websites, so when i enter this information, it outputs to the webpage. the containing <textarea> is only in the cms. it stores what i put in it in a database and then when the webpage is loaded it gets the data from the database and populates the page with html.

1. When saving HTML from text area to database store < > as < >

2. When displaying HTML for rendering (on final page), display < > as < >

3. When displaying HTML to textarea (for editing), display <  > as <, >. They will display as < > and also will be submitted as < >, but you will have to change them back to < > when storing data.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.