exif and iptc data extraction with php vs. mysql database

bullchina

i want to store info about a project in a database, and each project can have multiple images associated with it. at first i started to create a relational table for the images, but i was thinking that it might be easier to just store the image title and description info in the exif/iptc tags, and then just run a small php script that runs through the unique project directory where the images are stored, reads the list, and outputs the images with the exif info.

i noticed that save for web in photoshop strips out all the exif info, etc... and images saved with save as... are larger.

which method is better? the database approach or just storing images in a folder with exif/iptc data? thanks for the help

oh i wasn't looking to get into web based submissions of images, this is pretty much a static site where a database will be kept locally in access at the office, and then convert it to mysql or xml when it's changed, and then just copy the files over to the server.

i was just wondering if it's really necessary for me to make a table in the database to store the image names/titles/descriptions, etc...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.