Preventing spam on forms

sford999

Hi,

I`m using several forms so that users can add articles, reviews etc to my website, but I`m having problems with spammers finding them.

I have different methods built into the sctipts to try and prevent this, but none so far are working.

The methods so far are:

Blocking IP`s
Referrer check
image verification
Cookies being set so another item cannot be added for 30 minutes.

Is there anything else that I can add to try and prevent the spammers?

When you say "none so far are working", I assume you mean that all your protective measures are working for you but the spammers are finding some way to get around all of these checks.  Is that correct?

Is the nature of the spam something like advertising for body parts enhancements, chemicals that will change your life,  or sexy foreigners, i.e. are there certain 'giveaway' words in the spam that can be added to a list that will enable you to detect 'most' of the spam and ignore it?

I forgot to add that all submissions go into a MySQL database, before being visable on the site, I or another admin has to approve the "post"

[quote author=AndyB link=topic=106841.msg427735#msg427735 date=1157378879]
When you say "none so far are working", I assume you mean that all your protective measures are working for you but the spammers are finding some way to get around all of these checks.  Is that correct?[/quote]

Yes thats correct. such as they just seem to avoid the referrer check (easily done I know) and the image verification, which I can`t figure out how they do it.

[quote author=AndyB link=topic=106841.msg427735#msg427735 date=1157378879]
Is the nature of the spam something like advertising for body parts enhancements, chemicals that will change your life,  or sexy foreigners, i.e. are there certain 'giveaway' words in the spam that can be added to a list that will enable you to detect 'most' of the spam and ignore it?[/quote]

Thats exactly that, think I might have integrate some kind of check where it searches for certain words then approves or denies the submission

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.