[Mysql-server-5.0]invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.

carlosviansi

• your MySQL server version -- absolutely required!

Mysql-server-5.0 installed by aptitude install

• # the raw MySQL statement in question [in a CODE block, and without any PHP variables]

root@midgard:/etc/init.d# apt-get install mysql-server-5.0
Lendo listas de pacotes... Pronto
Construindo árvore de dependências       
Lendo informação de estado... Pronto
Os pacotes extra a seguir serão instalados:
  libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libhtml-template-perl libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl mysql-client-5.0 mysql-server-core-5.0
Pacotes sugeridos:
  dbishell libipc-sharedcache-perl mysql-doc-5.0 tinyca mailx
Os NOVOS pacotes a seguir serão instalados:
  libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libhtml-template-perl libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl mysql-client-5.0 mysql-server-5.0 mysql-server-core-5.0
0 pacotes atualizados, 8 pacotes novos instalados, 0 a serem removidos e 0 não atualizados.
É preciso baixar 874kB/35,9MB de arquivos.
Depois desta operação, 110MB adicionais de espaço em disco serão usados.
Você quer continuar [s/n]? S
Obter:1 http://br.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main libnet-daemon-perl 0.43-1 [46,9kB]
Obter:2 http://br.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main libplrpc-perl 0.2020-1 [36,0kB]
Obter:3 http://br.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main libdbi-perl 1.607-1 [791kB]
Baixados 874kB em 10s (83,6kB/s)                                                                                                                                               
Pré-configurando pacotes ...
Selecionando pacote previamente não selecionado libnet-daemon-perl.
(Lendo banco de dados ... 185830 arquivos e diretórios atualmente instalados).
Desempacotando libnet-daemon-perl (de .../libnet-daemon-perl_0.43-1_all.deb) ...
Selecionando pacote previamente não selecionado libplrpc-perl.
Desempacotando libplrpc-perl (de .../libplrpc-perl_0.2020-1_all.deb) ...
Selecionando pacote previamente não selecionado libdbi-perl.
Desempacotando libdbi-perl (de .../libdbi-perl_1.607-1_i386.deb) ...
Selecionando pacote previamente não selecionado libdbd-mysql-perl.
Desempacotando libdbd-mysql-perl (de .../libdbd-mysql-perl_4.008-1_i386.deb) ...
Selecionando pacote previamente não selecionado mysql-client-5.0.
Desempacotando mysql-client-5.0 (de .../mysql-client-5.0_5.1.30really5.0.75-0ubuntu10.3_i386.deb) ...
Selecionando pacote previamente não selecionado mysql-server-core-5.0.
Desempacotando mysql-server-core-5.0 (de .../mysql-server-core-5.0_5.1.30really5.0.75-0ubuntu10.3_i386.deb) ...
Selecionando pacote previamente não selecionado mysql-server-5.0.
Desempacotando mysql-server-5.0 (de .../mysql-server-5.0_5.1.30really5.0.75-0ubuntu10.3_i386.deb) ...
Selecionando pacote previamente não selecionado libhtml-template-perl.
Desempacotando libhtml-template-perl (de .../libhtml-template-perl_2.9-1_all.deb) ...
Processando gatilhos para man-db ...
Configurando libnet-daemon-perl (0.43-1) ...
Configurando libplrpc-perl (0.2020-1) ...
Configurando libdbi-perl (1.607-1) ...
Configurando libdbd-mysql-perl (4.008-1) ...
Configurando mysql-client-5.0 (5.1.30really5.0.75-0ubuntu10.3) ...
Configurando mysql-server-core-5.0 (5.1.30really5.0.75-0ubuntu10.3) ...
Configurando mysql-server-5.0 (5.1.30really5.0.75-0ubuntu10.3) ...
* Stopping MySQL database server mysqld                                                                                                                                 [ OK ] 
100402 17:36:21 [ERROR] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/user.frm' (errno: 13)
100402 17:36:21 [ERROR] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/user.frm' (errno: 13)
ERROR: 1017  Can't find file: './mysql/user.frm' (errno: 13)

100402 17:36:21 [ERROR] Aborting

100402 17:36:21 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

* Reloading AppArmor profiles ...                                                                                                                                       [ OK ] 
* /etc/init.d/mysql: WARNING: /etc/mysql/my.cnf cannot be read. See README.Debian.gz
* Starting MySQL database server mysqld                                                                                                                                 [fail] 
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
dpkg: erro processando mysql-server-5.0 (--configure):
sub-processo post-installation script retornou estado de saída de erro 1
Configurando libhtml-template-perl (2.9-1) ...
Erros foram encontrados durante o processamento de:
mysql-server-5.0
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@midgard:/etc/init.d# 

• any errors that MySQL returns to the client [from mysql_error()]

Not sure about this one

• the table structure & column indexes of the relevant tables [via SHOW CREATE TABLE is preferred]

I cant acess mysql

• a description of what it's currently doing that's not to your liking

It is not allowing me to proper install mysql

• a brief listing of the types of things you've attempted so far

There has been many attempts to fix this.

The very first problem was a miserable attempt of mine to turn my mysql to save logs as tables instead of files. Somehow i managed to change something on mysql that didnt let me acess it anymore, even my root user was being denied.

That said i started going around google and some boards said to delete folders, others to install, and by the time it ended everything went broken.

I tried then to uninstall anything that had mysql name from my computer. After some headache i managed to, or at least the aptitude search was telling that they were (and so was the synaptic).

I reisntalled apache2, which was already displaying an error due to httpd file has been configured to a request tracker,after fixing it, the mysql installation by #aptitude install mysql-server-5.0 started giving this kind of error.

I don't know what to search around internet anymore, the other requested information to post according to rules was a bit confusing to me (english is not my native language).

Thank you very much for your attention..

• Extra info:

MY OS IS UBUNTU 9.04

I'm a new user to mysql, so I pretty much now to create a database, drop one, acess as root.

Hello,

(First let me remember that my OS is Ubuntu 9.04)

I've found a solution today few minutes ago, so I'm posting here since I've sound so many posts around the web and not a single solution seemed to solve my problem.

Its actually pretty simple. My real problem was related to the my.cnf and the socket as stated before. The my.cnf could be replaced by installing the mysql-common package which contain the most common files (and which includes my.cnf),

#aptitude install mysql-common (try aptitude search with mysql- prefix in case that doesn't works, i'm not absolutely certain about each char).

After that the socket was still missing. I've rebooted my machine and noticed that my old kernel had no issues with starting mysql. So I opened the folder and saw the socket there on /var/run/mysqld

Then it came to my mind the dpkg, and that on the GRUB window (the black one when you restart your pc) it shows the 'recovery mode' version. I ran that for the last kernel version of mine that had the issue, and then selected the dpkg.

Dpkg has a function to 'recover broken packages', and by this time I had the mysql-server-5.0 broken (I couldnt start it, and i did not uninstall it). I believe you can verify the status by using #aptitude search mysql-server  and checking if its 'i' or 'c' by the left corner of the terminal window and the package name.

So, after fixing it by dpkg, the socket came back to its proper place and now mysql restart smootly.

Thats it.

Regards,

Carlos A.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.