Can i do this without using frames?

Trek15

I realize this might be an unnecessarily long explanation which i ask simply because i want to ensure that you guys understand where i'm coming from, but i will try to do it as easy as possible:

Current website:

Header frame with navigation buttons that changes content in the Content frame

Content frame with scrolling content

Footer frame with text-ads using tool-tips with images in them when hovered

With this set-up, the header and footer are always there regardless of what happens in the content frame.

New site:

Content (no frame) with scrolling content

Footer frame with text-ads using tool-tips with images in them when hovered

Put simply, i wonder if it's possible to have a frame footer which always is in the same place even if you scroll the content above (static i believe it's called) and which doesn't load along with the content outside of the frame. I want the content in the footer only to load once, when the website is visited, and then always stay up regardless of how many times that the content above changes page. This doesn't seem to be possible from my little knowledge since i believe that it's the frames themselves that makes this possible. But are there any other and perhaps seo-friendly ways to separate loading between content on a website?

I know how to position an element so that it's fixed. But what i want to find out is if i can load the content above the fixed element separately from the fixed element, as if they were in separate frames, but without using frames.

Check this example. If you click the Forum and Chat buttons, they will load in the content frame and the footer will remain loaded in the browser. The footer doesn't re-load with the page-change. That's what i wonder if i can do without using frames.

It can be done, You would need to use AJAX to load the content of your pages.

Then you have to worry about back button, bookmarking, sharing etc. This can be solved using the hash string.

Then you have to worry about users that have JS disabled, you will need to have a backup system in place (css:fixed footer div and normal page links in nav)

In other words, probably not worth it ;-)

Ah.. as i feared then; there's no practical way of doing this. :( I don't understand why tables had to turn into such little devils to use according to those who decide things like these. Seems like all the easy ways of doings things are being phased out. Reminds me of the days when we had to adapt to a separate CSS file taking care of colors, fonts, styles etc.  >:( Am i the only one who happen to believe it's always easier to just add everything directly in the tags? SSIs just made everything unnecessarily complex. :P

Flame shield on? I'm on a PHP community here after all... lol

I guess that would depend on what you consider 'practical'. I think a better way to say it is that there isn't an easy way to deal with it. But I consider it practical enough to implement it myself.

I myself much prefer not putting everything in tags. It keeps files so much easier to read and debug. If you have a content issue, you don't have to dig through thousands of HTML tags to find it, as your HTML is not cluttered with fonts, colors and other stuff. And if you have  font, positioning, color issue, you can go straight to the CSS document.

Things have gotten more difficult, that is true. But with the increased complexity comes increased quality. The nicer sites these days could not have been created with tables back in the day.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.