SMTP vs. mail()

rem

Hi,

I'm currently developing a PHP application and I was wondering about which method to send bulk emails to subscribers is better: SMTP or mail()?
I'm using phpmailer class and need this to work smoothly for large lists. Any advice? Thank you very much!

Regards,
Remus.

[quote author=ober link=topic=106968.msg428554#msg428554 date=1157474195]
.... SMTP is the protocol.  mail() is a PHP function.  PHPMailer is a class.

Maybe you should understand what you're doing before you ask questions.
[/quote]

Ok, here's the thing: on phpmailer class, there's an option to either use the PHP mail() function, a SMTP server by providing an user and password if the server needs authentication or sendmail. I understand very well what am I doing, just need a professional's opinion on this matter on what's the better aproach:

Should I email subscribers by using the PHP mail() function or by using the SMTP server option of phpmailer since sendmail is not a viable option?

Thanks.

[quote author=ober link=topic=106968.msg428577#msg428577 date=1157476988]
Well, do you have an IP address of the SMTP server?  I'd definatley go that route if you have the information.
[/quote]
yes, i do have an IP address of the SMTP server, as well as host name, username and password. so, seems this would be the best choice, isn't it? i was only concerned about the slow response I get from the server when emails are sent... and I did tested it with just a few, what about when it'll be in production and more emails will be involved?

Thanks a lot, really appreciate it...

• 2 weeks later...
[quote author=steveclondon link=topic=106968.msg437305#msg437305 date=1158681882]
How have you got on with this. I to am wondering if I should use the mail() function or class to email my members when an advert is placed. This could be from a few hundred to several thousand.

Would like to know how you got on and what you decided to do and which class you have used.
[/quote]

I finally decided to go with PHPMailer ( http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/ ). It's very easy to work with and it had no issues using my SMTP server with. I heard this should be better than mail() function, don't know exactly why becasue I don't understand how a SMTP server is working, but decided to go with people smarter than I am :)

Good luck!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.