uploading with commas and single quotes in file name

rondog

I am having a problem with uploading files if they have single quotes or commas. Actually they upload fine, the problem is they aren't being inserted into the database. I am doing a str_replace on the file name. I replace spaces, single quote and commas.

Here is my script:

$addTime		= date("Ymd-s_");
	$badChars 		= array(" ","'",",");
	$badRepl		= array("_","","_");
	$l_sFileName		= strtolower( str_replace( $badChars, $badRepl, basename( $_FILES['Filedata']['name'] ) ) );
	$l_sFilePath		= "project_data/".$addTime.$l_sFileName;
	$fname			= "project_data/".$addTime.$l_sFileName;

move_uploaded_file( $_FILES['Filedata']['tmp_name'], $l_sFilePath );

$sql = mysql_query("INSERT INTO projectData (proj_id,position,type,path,title) VALUES ('$projID','$pos','$type','$fname','$title')");

If I upload a regular file name like "myfile.txt" or even "my file.txt" it works fine. It uploads and gets put in the DB. If I upload a file named "rondog's file.txt" it gets upload, but it doesnt get put into the database. Any ideas?

Have you tried to echo out "$l_sFileName" to see what its trying to add to the DB?

Well I cant really echo it out because its just a script I am calling from flash, so their is no output. Like i said the file uploads, but doesnt get put into the DB when their is a apostrophe. The file that gets uploaded is correct however. For example:

20100409-20_rondogs_file.txt is what gets uploaded when I upload a file named "rondog's file.txt"

Check the value of $sql to see if the query failed, you can use mysql_error() to see the error message.

Ok like I said I cant output anything because I never actually see the upload script since I am in flash, however, I made it create a text file with the output of mysql_error() and this is what I get:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's file.txt')' at line 1

Ok so now my next question is why is the file getting named correctly, but the path that I am inserting into the DB isnt?

The query was broken by the ' in the filename. Use mysql_real_escape_string() on the filename (and any other user supplied data) before you put it in the query, it will escape the ' character.

Those should be getting stripped here:

$l_sFileName		= strtolower( str_replace( $badChars, $badRepl, basename( $_FILES['Filedata']['name'] ) ) );

Those should be getting stripped here:

Yeah thats what I thought too...but i mean the actual file is getting named accordingly, its the path name that I am passing to the database isnt recognizing the change.

ok I did this and it ouputs correctly....ughhh why is it saying I have an error in my syntax

<?php
$addTime			= date("Ymd-s_");
$badChars 			= array(" ","'",",");
$badRepl			= array("_","","_");
$l_sFileName		= strtolower( str_replace( $badChars, $badRepl, "ronnie's file.txt" ) );
$l_sFilePath		= "project_data/".$addTime.$l_sFileName;
$fname				= "project_data/".$addTime.$l_sFileName;
echo $fname; //project_data/20100409-13_ronnies_file.txt
?>

Check the output of this:

change

$sql = mysql_query("INSERT INTO projectData (proj_id,position,type,path,title) VALUES ('$projID','$pos','$type','$fname','$title')");

to

$sql = "INSERT INTO projectData (proj_id,position,type,path,title) VALUES ('$projID','$pos','$type','$l_sFilePath','$title')";
echo $sql; // The actual DB query
$result = mysql_query($sql);

EDIT: I wonder if its the $title field - where is $title being set from??

oh boy ..I am retarded..I was thinking it was the path this whole time...It's the default title...

I did what you suggested and it outputs: INSERT INTO projectData (proj_id,position,type,path,title) VALUES ('1','5','flash','project_data/20100409-35_ronnies_file.txt','ronnie's file.txt')

well I guess this case has been solved haha, thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.