4 replies to this topic

#1 barkster

barkster
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

I'm searching for a free chat script that allows users to create a chat session between a user online if that user is available.  Is there something like that out there?  Not having real good luck finding something simple. I don't need all the bells and whistles.  Or if there is a tutorial or something to build my own that would be great.  Thanks!

#2 trq

trq
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 31,041 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:06 PM

To be honest, php probably isn't the best language to build a chat application with. Though it could be done, its not really meant for that kind of client / server interaction.

Of course with more people getting into Ajax, I suppose it is quite feasable that you may find a php / ajax solution, but I would think most chat applications would be better suited to a java applet.

#3 roopurt18

roopurt18
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,749 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, southern

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:11 PM

^ Agreed.  What he's really trying to say is doing that with PHP will not turn out to be so simple.
PHP Forms : Part I | Part II

JavaScript: Singleton

http://www.rbredlau.com

#4 barkster

barkster
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:13 AM

cool, I just need something very small and thin.  Just need to be able to detect when users are online and start a chat session between two users.  Any ideas for that.  Guess I mentioned php cause all my pages are php and was hoping to use something with php/mysql

#5 Chat

Chat
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBirmingham (UK)

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:46 PM

i would also like to know of such a simple script. they seem to have these "shout boxes" in many forums... maybe these use such scripts?

anyway, for time time being, i'm using IrCQ-Net for my chat needs. you can embed an ircnet flash client into your website quite easily and modify the default chatrooms and room lists and nicknames..etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users