Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mcmuney

LIMIT and RAND()

Is it possible to use a limit and rand() combination? If yes, how would I use it? First, I'd like to pull x number of results (LIMIT x), which should bring x results, I then would like to display one of the x results randomly.

I use the above like this....

[code]

$result = mysql_query("SELECT id,item2,item3,item4,item5,item6 FROM table ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 0,5")
or die(mysql_error());

[/code]

Hope that helps :)

Oops, forgot something. I also need to order it by something, so my code would look like this:

[code]

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY x LIMIT 0,5")
or die(mysql_error());
[/code]

I would then want to apply a rand() display, which will display 1 random from the 5 results.

Well you're ORDERing the results by RAND().....so you can't also order it by something else as well I don't imagine

Hmmm, well, I need to order it by "x" because I want to pull the top 5 results based on "x", then display only 1 randomly from the 5. Is there another way to do this?

Perhaps you could put the results of the query into an array, then have the array randomoze it?

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think it would work.

I used the following recently on a site, which allowed me to choose the most recent items and display them randomly:

[code]SELECT tblName.item FROM tblName WHERE MONTH(itemDate) = MONTH(CURDATE()) AND YEAR(itemDate) = YEAR(CURDATE()) ORDER BY RAND()  LIMIT 0, 5[/code]

I used WHERE instead of ORDER to select the items I wanted.

HTH.

Joss

I wonder if LIMIT can take an expression... if so, you can use it to pull a random of the 5.

If you're using MYSQL 4.1 or higher you can try something similar to the following as well.
[code]
SELECT
FROM
(
    SELECT
    FROM
    tablename
    ORDER BY x
    LIMIT 5
) AS t
ORDER BY RAND()
LIMIT 1
[/code]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.