IRC Server

There was a server outage that took down the site for around 24 hours, after it came back up the IRC and search features stopped working.  There is only one person with permission to bring them back up; so, they will be down indefinitely.  http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=2  You can personal message him if you think it will help.

Hopefully Eric will notice and restart the IRC server, it was finally starting to get some activity before it was nuked. That he hasn't made any announcement, note, explanation or apology for the downtime of the site and other services leads me to believe, if it were ever in question, that Eric really doesn't give two hoots about this place, which is a real shame.

IRC = I Really don't Care

You mightn't care, but other people here would like it back up. Just for a sense of being back to normal, if nothing more.

Hopefully Eric will notice and restart the IRC server, it was finally starting to get some activity before it was nuked. That he hasn't made any announcement, note, explanation or apology for the downtime of the site and other services leads me to believe, if it were ever in question, that Eric really doesn't give two hoots about this place, which is a real shame.

You mightn't care, but other people here would like it back up. Just for a sense of being back to normal, if nothing more.

It's fully understandable it may take more than just a day to get the server back up, All in all it is his own. Within a week or two is perfectly acceptable, I doubt he doesn't care about it, Unless it's a circumstantial problem with money and he's hardly able to continue it. It's a unique service in itself.

Daniel's done all there is need be, so we should just respect the owner's ability and wait.

It's fully understandable it may take more than just a day to get the server back up, All in all it is his own. Within a week or two is perfectly acceptable, I doubt he doesn't care about it, Unless it's a circumstantial problem with money and he's hardly able to continue it. It's a unique service in itself.

Daniel's done all there is need be, so we should just respect the owner's ability and wait.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

You think a week or two of downtime is acceptable for something that takes at most two minutes fixing? And I'm not just "guesstimating" here. I did run this website and its servers for two years.

You think a week or two of downtime is acceptable for something that takes at most two minutes fixing? And I'm not just "guesstimating" here. I did run this website and its servers for two years.

It's not his job to be at the panel 24/7 and make sure it is running fine, I'm not aware of the owner's personality or agenda but it doesn't seem amazing to have a week's leeway on getting it up and running, I've personally experienced some fairly large (community based or commercially) sites down for atleast that amount of time to get up to do the job and be able to fix it.

It's not his job to be at the panel 24/7 and make sure it is running fine, I'm not aware of the owner's personality or agenda but it doesn't seem amazing to have a week's leeway on getting it up and running, I've personally experienced some fairly large (community based or commercially) sites down for atleast that amount of time to get up to do the job and be able to fix it.

Are you serious? There are monitoring tools available that can fire off an email when a service drops, you receive the e-mail, and fix it over SSH. You don't need to be sitting in front of it 24/7. His company owns this site, so yes, I'd imagine it is ultimately his job to ensure that it is maintained and looked after. A weeks worth of downtime is ridiculous on any site with a good amount of traffic. , that level of carelessness is how you loose traffic (and money).

a community I used to go to had gone down for days at a time, the owner was fairly proficient but its just what happened, I dunno what you guys are talking about o_O;

If it was his really job or w/e he'd do it already, right?

How is an auxillery IRC service a site with high traffic? The site seems to have been fixed, and not the IRC? I wonder why the option of that was taken upon.

The IRC isn't a high traffic site - Obviously. I was commenting in relation to your statement that you'd personally experienced both fairly large community and commercial sites with downtime for at least a week.

The IRC isn't a high traffic site - Obviously. I was commenting in relation to your statement that you'd personally experienced both fairly large community and commercial sites with downtime for at least a week.

Alright then.

How is an auxillery IRC service a site with high traffic? The site seems to have been fixed, and not the IRC? I wonder why the option of that was taken upon.

How is forum search not an important feature? Sphinx, the search daemon that the forum uses, isn't running either.

Edit: Sorry, thorpe. I didn't see you locked it.

Hey everyone, we apologize for the downtime. It is something we didn't expect and something we weren't aware of.  We now have monitoring software up and running, but please realize that this is a FREE resource and it's run by volunteers.  Our ads barely pay for the service itself, so understand that you're complaining about a free resource being offline for a short period of time. This site has never been down in it's 9 years of operation, and this was just an oversight due to changeover in management of the site.  Ooops...

We'll do our best to keep the site up and running while we rebuild our team of volunteers to maintain the site. If you're interested in being on that team, please pm me.

Thanks!

phpfreak