PHPFreaks 3.0

Yeah, not really a good title, but hey I needed something.  ;D

Over the next few weeks/months, Ober and myself will be doing some MAJOR work to the entire site.  Such work will include getting the User Submitted Tutorials working, seeing what we can do about the site not validating (unlikely here because of the news article system), and more.

One of the major things we are hoping to bring to phpfreaks, is our network.  Over the past few months, all of our network sites have pretty much died.  AJAXFreaks, LinuxForum, MySQLFreaks, and ApacheFreaks.  You can now no longer access MySQLFreaks, LinuxForum has no forum software, AJAXFreaks is dead, and ApacheFreaks has been dead for some time.  No, we are not going to get rid of them, but we ARE gonna offer the same help here.  We get one or two people that has an AJAX question, for example, but they can't get help from AJAXFreaks because no one is there.

I'm not sure if you guys are willing to do this... or even if my suggestion should be made, but I'll say it anyway.

What if you 'merged' all the sites into one portal. You can still have AJAXFreaks, MySQLFreaks, ApacheFreaks, etc., however, they can all be on the same 'site'. Perhaps just change the colors, but keep the same design/style and links. Perhaps having some nice quick-nav buttons at the top would be a great way. I think this could increase the people who read the content and ask for help on those sites.

Just my two cents, though.

We're currently talking about something similar to that.  I think what we may end up doing is removing the forums from all the other sites and keeping the actual websites in place, but with a more visible link on each site to the others.  We want to keep tutorials/news/scripts seperated logically, but I think the help can all come from the same place.

That could be possible. just having an if statement grab the current url, match it to a predefined url, if it matches throw the image up.  I will discuss this more with ober. It would take all 1 hour or less to accomplish, and i think would really be cool to add.  thanks for the input.  i will post back with what we decide on.

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=107099.msg429701#msg429701 date=1157602315]
That could be possible. just having an if statement grab the current url, match it to a predefined url, if it matches throw the image up.  I will discuss this more with ober. It would take all 1 hour or less to accomplish, and i think would really be cool to add.  thanks for the input.  i will post back with what we decide on.
[/quote]
Actualy Steelman you dont need to do that, I think you can just assign different themes/templates to individual forums if you wanted to. So if you want the MySQL forum to have the mysql freaks header graphic just setup a new theme/template for that forum.

Its not the header graphic that takes up the room. Its mainly the bit underneath it. Where it displays your avatar and links to recent posts etc. If the header is bugging you click the minus button to the right of the date. it'll hide all that stuff and just show the header graphic and menu links. Its what I do

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.