site opinions

pachelbel101

Good morning, everyone.

I recently released this site and I would like to know what you all think of the design, content (text), etc.  Although it is now released, I work on it frequently, so any opinions for changes are certainly welcome.  The site is [url=http://spacespinner.com]spacespinner.com[/url]

Thanks for taking the time to look it over and share your thoughts.

pachelbel101

Ditto with jcombs to an extent, although I (almost) like the site.

I think it's more a case of minor improvements rather than anything major. I won't comment on the content, as (as jcombs mentioned) I have no idea what it's for - your immediate goal is not obvious, even if you read it a few times.

I think there's only a few things that stood out for me.
1, The top banner part's colours. those shades of blue/purple almost go hand in hand with php.net site - almost as if they own them. as a result, it looks a bit naff compared to other areas.
2, your site doesn't seem to know whether to be 'boxed' or 'curvy'. you curved the navigation 'pills' at the top, but everything else is very square. maybe take a look at http://www.lookitsme.co.uk/ as they seem to share a similar style to you
3, your navigation in general could use some work. i can't put my finger on it, but i'm not keen on pills in any way shape or form. it kinda reminds me of 90's sites. again, look at the site i just gave you and see how they do it. curvy tabs, i think - just not pills.

otherwise, i think it's very tidy and with a bit of work (and a clearer goal) it could work very well.
cheers
Mark

In response to jcombs:
- What specifically don't you like about the colors?
- As far as the two-row navigation, I may switch it to a tabbed thing, if I can determine all the links will fit accross.
- The upside-down space in the logo is because of the "Spinner" in the name - but making "Spinner" upside down looked worse to me.  Was that not obvious, or did you just think it was stupid?  I thought the logo would look to plain without the rotated "Space" - what do you think?
- I assumed that my visitors would know what the site was about (it is a myspace customizing site), but maybe that is a poor assumption.  I'll work on the text.

In response to redbullmarky:
1.  interesting that the colors do somewhat match those on php.net - purely coincidental.  I changed the link colors to better match the colors in the rest of the page, and make them stand out.  I also added a drop shadow to give them some character.
2.  I personally think a balance of curvy and squared-off is good - too curvy looks like you're trying to hard, and too squared looks like you didn't try at all...if that makes sense
3.  I think I agree with your feeling on the "pills" - like I told jcombs, I will probably change them to curved tabs in the future, if I can determine they'll all fit across the top.

What do you think of the changes to the pills...are they at least somewhat better?

colours - yeah, definitely different to php.net now. its a coincidence i see a lot, as they're fairly common colours. i just think that php.net have used them so much that its hard to use them and not have more than a passing similarity. ok, so the average joe won't really know much about PHP.net, but loads will.

pills - yeah, they're much better and 'passable' - however, my original comment about pills in general still stands - not because of yours, but just cos i don't like them in general. maybe you could [i]try[/i] lopping the bottom of the pills, and see how they look as tabs? i dunno. either way, much better.
only prob now is it makes the links in the very top seem a little bit out on a limb...

cheers
Mark

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.