What is _hcc_thumbs on GoDaddy??

benphp

I've never seen this before, but now that I'm working on a GoDaddy site, I get this _hcc_thumbs directory any time I upload an image. GoDaddy support is clueless and claims it's something my FTP client does - LeechFTP. I've never seen it do that for 10 years.

Anyone know where _hcc_thumbs comes from? I'd like to configure it, because it would be useful. It contains a thumbnail of all images uploaded, reduced to no more than 80px by 80px - and renames the file to filename.jpg-thumb-80.jpg.

GoDaddy uses automatic disk caching on albums for ASP.NET (Most likely from a predefined application, or just filler when the account was created) instead of caching them into memory, Why? I'm not sure, But they're obviously a good enough host to shut out any memory being used up by the average user.

I'm sure if you were intelligent enough to know hosts sometimes place predefined things, such as for wordpress admin templates that are so often available with cPanel (etc), You would know or assume why if there is no documentation on it, But apparently you need things told to you because all you expected was an empty server for you?

I have discovered the source of the _hcc_thumbs directory that the GoDaddy scripts create. They are created by GoDaddy scripts by the GoDaddy File Manager, specifically, the File Manager web app at https://p3nlsccweb.secureserver.net which GoDaddy uses for its File Hosting Control Center.

To reacreate this:

FTP into a directory that contains a JPG image but no _hcc_thumbs directory. Confirm that the _hcc_thumbs directory does not exist.

Log in to the account through GoDaddy account manager, and click on the File Manager.

Navigate to the image in File Manager.

The File Manager scripts create the _hcc_thumbs directory once you do that. The thumbnails are created to display 80px thumbnails in File Manager.

Again, one-kunt finds it necessary to display his ignorance and pollute an otherwise useful forum with his thoughtlessness. I'm sure he's not done adding more of his preadolescent witlessness, but know that I won't be reading it.

Have a nice day.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.