To write a looping function

manianprasanna

I would like to write a looping function. for example as below

[code]
loop(10) {
    echo 'Please answer me';
}
[/code]

So that the above code would print 10 times ''Please answer me''. Actually the code looks similar to for loop, but the above code is not the actual functionality i need. The functionality i need is similar to the above code. So could anyone tell me that whether i can write a looping function. If yes then how?

Please help me.

Thanks for those who had replied so far, but those are not the answers i want. Because as i already said that i want to looping statment.To explain more clear, see the below code

[code]
loop(10) {
    for($i=0; $i<5; $i++) {
        echo 'please help me';
    }
}
[/code]

The same loop function should also be able to use like below

[code]
loop(10) {
    if($i==8) {
        echo 'please help me';
    }
}
[/code]

I think now you all can understand more clear. To accomplish this type of function calling how should i declare the loop function.

Yes that's what i would like to know that only., that is how to define the function loop to accomplish the functionality said in my previous post.

[quote]Thanks for those who had replied so far, but those are not the answers i want. Because as i already said that i want to looping statment.To explain more clear, see the below code

[code]
loop(10) {
    for($i=0; $i<5; $i++) {
        echo 'please help me';
    }
}

[/code]

The same loop function should also be able to use like below

[code]
loop(10) {
    if($i==8) {
        echo 'please help me';
    }
}
[/code]

I think now you all can understand more clear. To accomplish this type of function calling how should i declare the loop function.[/quote]

Can't you see looking at the code I posted how to define a function? I don't see why the code I posted won't work for you?

[code]
<?php

function loop($times, $text) {
for ($i = 0; $i < $times; $i++) {
echo "$text<br />";
}
}
loop(10, "Please answer me"); //First declare the amount of times you want the text within the parenthesis to be displayed. Then within the parenthesis declare the text you want displayed.

?>
[/code]

Maybe I am totally mis-understanding you, if that is the case, I applogize. Maybe you can be more specific?

[quote author=manianprasanna link=topic=107212.msg429772#msg429772 date=1157626439]
I would like to write a looping function. for example as below

[code]
loop(10) {
    echo 'Please answer me';
}
[/code]

So that the above code would print 10 times ''Please answer me''. Actually the code looks similar to for loop, but the above code is not the actual functionality i need. The functionality i need is similar to the above code. So could anyone tell me that whether i can write a looping function. If yes then how?

Please help me.
[/quote]

Here's a looping function to do what you specified:

[code]
<?php
function loop($iterations)
{
for ($i = 1; $i <= $iterations; $i++)
{
echo "Please answer me";
}
}

// usage...
loop(10);
?>
[/code]

The output on a web page will look like this:

[code]Please answer mePlease answer mePlease answer mePlease answer mePlease answer mePlease answer mePlease answer mePlease answer mePlease answer mePlease answer me[/code]

I'm almost sure that's not what you want, but hey, who am I to judge?  I now re-quote you:

[quote author=manianprasanna link=topic=107212.msg429772#msg429772 date=1157626439]
Actually the code looks similar to for loop, but the above code is not the actual functionality i need. The functionality i need is similar to the above code.
[/quote]

How are we supposed to devine the special knowledge we need to write your code for you? 

Thanks for all those who replied.

I would like to tell one more thing. The statemets inside the looping function is not same in all the case. I can be anything like conditional statements, DB manupulations, etrc....The loop function should take those statements as input and loop it.

case 1:
[code]
loop(10) {
    //some set of statements.
}
[/code]

case 2:
[code]
loop(10) {
    //Not the same set of statements as in case 1.
}
[/code]

With my function, you can change what is looped and how many times, for example:

[code]
<?php

echo "$text<br />";
}
}

loop(10, "Please answer me"); //Please answer me - looped 10 times

loop(8, "Hello, how are you"); //Hello, how are you - looped 8 times

//You could apply statements like:

$test = "8";

if ($test == "8") {
loop(5, "Test equals 8");
}

?>
[/code]

Again thankyou hostfreak. But you had changed my function calling from loop(10) to loop(10, "Please answer me"). First i don't like to have another parameter (your 2[sup]nd[/sup] parameter). And i would like to execute any statements inside the calling loop function.

Example 1:
[code]
loop(10) {
    ////MySQL insert statements.
}
[/code]

Example 2:
[code]
loop(10) {
    ////Some simple echo statemets.
}
[/code]

Example 2:
[code]
loop(10) {
    ////Some file manupulations.
}
[/code]

Sorry if i have hurted any body..
Please reply me.

[quote author=hostfreak link=topic=107212.msg429820#msg429820 date=1157632212]
With my function, you can change what is looped and how many times, for example:

[code]
<?php

echo "$text<br />";
}
}

loop(10, "Please answer me"); //Please answer me - looped 10 times

loop(8, "Hello, how are you"); //Hello, how are you - looped 8 times

//You could apply statements like:

$test = "8";

if ($test == "8") {
loop(5, "Test equals 8");
}

?>
[/code]
[/quote]

Hmmm , i think you need to hacking PHP code to do something like that , becuase it's a statement and not function .

you can do it with PHP by compile it , i mean write function open the php source file and search the "loop" statement in the php source file , if find the statement replace it by real loop statement like "while" or "for" , i mean do something like templates engine (for example Smarty) .

Can you provide proper examples please. Posting
[code]loop(10) {
    ////MySQL insert statements.
}

loop(10) {
    ////Some simple echo statemets.
}

loop(10) {
    ////Some file manupulations.
}[/code]
Doesnt help much.

A good example will be to post the code you want to be repeated over and over in your loop function.

If you dont want a secound paramter, then prehaps use global:
[code]function loop($times)
{
    global $text;

for ($i = 0; $i < $times; $i++)
    {
        echo "$text<br />";
    }
}

$text = "Please answer me";
loop(10); //Please answer me - looped 10 times

$text =  "Hello, how are you";
loop(8); //Hello, how are you - looped 8 times[/code]

Also you cannot use a function to do three different things, without having more than 1 parameter. How will the loop function know you want to run a query, or manupulate a file, echo something etc. I cannot see where you are going with this.

The OP doesn't want a function, he wants a new statement type.

PHP already has looping statements: for, while, do ... while. Why can't one of those be used?

Example:

[code]<?php
for($i=0;$i<10;$i++) {
//
//  code block to be executed 10 times
//
}?>[/code]

Ken

[quote author=kenrbnsn link=topic=107212.msg429899#msg429899 date=1157638850]
The OP doesn't want a function, she wants a new statement type.

PHP already has looping statements: for, while, do ... while. Why can't one of those be used?

Example:

[code]<?php
for($i=0;$i<10;$i++) {
//
//  code block to be executed 10 times
//
}?>[/code]

Ken
[/quote]

She? Lol, his profile would suggest otherwise.

The OP appears to want a general function that loops but has a different body depending on from where it's called.

I'm guessing their intended use is:
[code]
// get DB items
$items = mysql_query($sql);
// Loop over items and do something
$results = Loop($items);
// Loop over the results and do something else entirely
$new_results = Loop($results);
[/code]

To the OP, if this is what you want, sorry you can't do that.  You'll just have to write a new function for each type of looping functionality you want to provide.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.