how can i get people to not think my site is a scam

silverglade

hi, i have a site where i sell how to do a rare art technique for 19.95, and people like it after they buy it, but i did a poll and most people dont buy because they think its a scam. i  was wondering if there is some kind of certification i can get for my site that will make them feel safer to buy from my site? any help greatly appreciated. i use paypal on my site to accept payments.

I'll certify you for 19.95... ;)

As Mchl says there is no such thing in existence and such a system would be pretty impossible to actually put in place. All you can do is include testimonials on the site (though they are easily faked, so probably won't convince anyone) give examples of art created with the technique, etc, etc. Getting reviewed/featured by somebody that is respected will help alot, but at the end of the day you have to expect it to be very much like Adsense, the click through rate will be very low so you need to get the traffic very high.

crud. hehe. ok thank you. ya i did include sample art done in the technique and testimonials, but for some reason the main reason people dont buy is because they dont trust it. oh well, i will just have to wait until my reputation on the net is a little better , thanks for answering, at least i know now. thanks. derek :D

How are you using PayPal? Are you using Website Payments Standard, or Website Payments Pro? Sometimes, I feel the standard integration can cheapen the offer sometimes, whereas integrating with Pro allows you to keep the customer on your website the whole time during the payment process, making it look more professional, plus the addition of an SSL certificate can give the impression of security during the payment processing. It could also be down to the way in which your site is designed - Does it look professional?

i think you are right, it might be the way my site is designed. i cant post the url because this post will show up on a search of my site on google in like one minute after i post the url here. but its mostly a white background, very plain with black text because i have a lot of text. i read that most readers prefer a white background with black text, so i made my site like that. the site however has no design because of that, its just text with a white background.

I think website layout can sometimes be effective to deliver certain messages. From my experiences scam website tend to have similar appearance.

Aside from the design, do not give fancy promises or advertisements and do not make them look like they are "too good to be true". Always make your offers reasonable.

Give real details about your business or even you. For instance, you can include your business address which makes it easy for the buyer to check if it is a real location with real business on google maps.

In many countries (at least where I come from) business have unique numbers to identify them in different government departments. You can include this as well.

Bottom line think of yourself as the buyer who to check if the website is scam or not.

I personally don't believe ANYTHING I see on the internet.  (Albeit this isn't constructive)  So you shouldn't take it too personally.  More than that I am under the presumption that you cannot learn art techniques through disperse media (such as the internet).  Also, most of the content like this that I have seen are compiled into a published format.  Which is also something that I would want.  You might want to look into what it would take to publish this, because it sounds like you are really close to having a book compiled here.  A book on Amazon has incredible credibility.

does this look any better or legitimate? please let me know. thanks. derek

http://oddnerdrum.info

It's better then oldmastercopies but it still lacks a serious usability. And like andrewgauger already told you it would be best to find an agent, write the book and publish it. Use your websites to promote your book. If you don't want to go through all the fuss of finding an agent, convince them, find a publisher who wants to invest in your book, you could use http://www.lulu.com/ you just send them the copy and they will sell if for you. It's easier to convince people to buy your book through an established company then them hoping you will send them something after you received their money.

I love how you doubled the price, classic.  We don't support why a website might not show search results.  Go to the source.  The only things I can think of are:

1. You need to enter keywords

2. You need to pay to have your work in the search (but from how many results there are this is unlikely).

3. There is a separate configuration for search (similar to 1).

4. You might have to wait for it to be updated (within 24 hours I'd say).

And no, I don't know how to do any of these things.

Edit:

Looks like it is because content is approved by moderators:

https://support.lulu.com/View.jsp?procId=b84e589845dd5cd76eb9a61f939fb21d

awesome i published my book at lulu. here is the link to buy the book, but my book doesnt show up on the search, does anyone know why?

here is the book link. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/odd-nerdrum-technique---the-research-pages/8728020

Don't expect to much of Lulu promoting your book, there are too many that's where your website comes in. Promote your book, write your text to make them curious about what they may find inside your book and buy it! Do a read on SEO and copywriting to make your text more compelling, link to (and clearly state that you handle printing through) lulu.com. The reason that you need to clearly state it is because if you don't your visitors become confused, scared and will NOT buy the book.

Gain their trust and once the reviews come rolling in you'll probably start to sell even more. And about the price I think it's a fair price if you have put a lot of effort in the research.

ok cool i got my drawing book and ebook up there and my painting technique book and ebook up. the only problem is lulu made me charge 50 bucks for my painting book. i dont know why. oh well. but THANK YOU for that link!!! i just ordered copies of my books and i cant wait to get them! HAHAH

and thanks for telling me about redoing my site. its a lot better now. not great but a lot better than it was. thanks. derek :D

scam sites are mostly messy and filled with this and that ads according to my knowledge. when one has i good design which is done tidily people easily trust it coz it says that the owner worked hard to get it done. whereas the scammers will use just about anything availabe for free on the net and get their business started.

hope im right?

anyways @ silverglade i think ur sites are good but the design of ur templates not very proffisional?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.