Mathematics w/pagination problems

lansing

I am using a very simple pagination script. I am trying to get use Mathematics with the records displayed on the page. Like if I limit it to 5 records per page & need to be able to use Mathematics on those 5 records.

[u][b]Scenario:[/b][/u]
Limit 5 records per page.
Each record has a membership fee
Need to add the total membership fees for those 5 records.

I am picturing having the table rows stop & then having 2 rows after the pagination rows. With the 5 table rows created on my page by the pagination script I am placing making the next row show totals for the selected records, but the last row will show totals for the entire database. I have that last row working, but can't seem to get the query code to total up just those 5 records that the pagination selected from the db.

I hope I haven't lost you.

Here is what I have now & it isn't working. The LIMIT $skip,$show is the same code that the pagination script uses in its processings.[code=php:0] $total_paid ="SELECT SUM(membership_fees) as membership_fees_paid
FROM $membership_fees_table
LIMIT $skip,$show";
[/code]

limit won't work here because you're only selecting ONE ROW of results (SUM()). your best bet is to possibly join the membership_fees_table to the initial query and use PHP to add them up as you loop through the records, for instance (and the names may be off since i don't know your schema):
[code]
<?php
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users LEFT JOIN membership_fees WHERE users.user_id = membership_fees.user_id LIMIT $skip, $show");
$total = 0;
while ($x = mysql_fetch_array($sql)) {
  $fee = $x['membership_fee'];
  $total += $fee;
}
?>
[/code]

hope that makes sense. good luck!

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=107240.msg429978#msg429978 date=1157646497]
[code]
<?php
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users LEFT JOIN membership_fees WHERE users.user_id = membership_fees.user_id LIMIT $skip, $show");
$total = 0;
while ($x = mysql_fetch_array($sql)) {
  $fee = $x['membership_fee'];
  $total += $fee;
}
?>
[/code]
[/quote]What is this part about: [i][b]LEFT JOIN membership_fees WHERE users.user_id = membership_fees.user_id[/b][/i]? I didn't say anything about user or user_id. I tried to change the line to match my variables, but couldn't get anything to work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.