Append to END of table

doodmon

So long as I create new records sequentially it will put them in order, but when i delete a record and then try to add a record it will place the new record in the old record's place. I want it to appear at the end of the table, not in the middle. Here is the code to create a new record and remove a record, can I do a sort by the number column after a new one is inserted or other suggestions??:

case "create":
//pretty basic, just counts the number of rows and puts record with number 1 greater than that in.
//problem is it doesn't always put it at the end of the table.
$vtip = isset($_POST['vtip']) ? trim($_POST['vtip']) : "";
$vtip = str_replace("'", "’", $vtip);
$db=mysql_connect ("localhost", "xxx", "xxx") or die ('I cannot connect to the database because: ' . mysql_error());
mysql_select_db ("tips");
$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tips.new");
$x = mysql_num_rows($query);
$x++;
mysql_query("INSERT INTO new (number, tip) VALUES ('$x','$vtip')");
echo "Entry Successful";
mysql_close($db);
break;

case "delete":
//$num is the record number being deleted.
//After it is removed while loop renumbers all the records that fell after the record so there is no gap.
$num = isset($_REQUEST['num']) ? trim($_REQUEST['num']) : "";
$db=mysql_connect ("localhost", "xxx", "xxx") or die ('I cannot connect to the database because: ' . mysql_error());
mysql_select_db ("tips");
mysql_query("DELETE FROM new WHERE number='$num'");
$x=0;
$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM new");
$numrows = mysql_num_rows($query);
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($query)) {
$x++;
mysql_query("UPDATE new SET number='$x' WHERE number='$row[0]'");
}
echo "Deletion Successful";
mysql_close($db);
break;

Not again... don't worry yourself with how/where the DB puts the record.  If you want them sorted in a particular way, issue an ORDER BY clause, and add the appropriate column to your table (e.g. a created/modified date, etc.)  Don't expect, assume or in any way depend on the PK field for anything at all.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.