29 replies to this topic

#1 Kris

Kris
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:59 PM

I'm just curious what everyones work space looks like - Call my nosy if you like, but I find it interesting looking at the area that other people work in, so go ahead, post up some pictures. Here's mine to start things off!

My office desk
Posted Image
(Click for bigness)

My desk at home
Posted Image
(Click for bigness)

#2 jcombs_31

jcombs_31
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:03 PM

I wish I had the same monitor setup as you.

#3 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:58 PM

Wow SA you are my new hero! Nice set up!

Also great post! I will post again later once I get home and put mine up.

*jealously walks out of the room*

Later,
-Chris

#4 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:01 PM

php & mysql for dummies...busted! okay but you have baily's so i forgive you.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#5 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

yes, good post. i'll have to get some pics and post, too. my office setup is almost identical to your home setup... i'm a little jealous of the third flat panel myself :P
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#6 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:03 PM

i'm so poor i have a 13" crt. and i can't even afford a digicam to prove it.
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#7 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

I'll post my home office later.  I'll have to bring my camera in tomorrow and get the work setup.  My work setup isn't nearly as good as yours.  I'd kill for a second monitor.  :(

Info: PHP Manual

#8 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:00 AM

Hey I got some pics together, this is my home office...the one at work I didn't pay for, so it's pretty weak, so I just included my home stuff.

This is my main work space. Main computer is an intel duel core, and the monitor is a dell 20.1" widescreen (awesome picture by the way). Next to it is a Win 2000 server, mostly for files.
Posted Image

This is right next to the first picture, this is the linux workstation with the first section of books. And all those bins are filled with parts and misc computer crap
Posted Image

These are the other books, mostly outdated, but sometimes a help. And YES there are dummy books in there, but sometimes they are nice to have...just in case.
Posted Image

This is in the other room, has really nothing to do with programming, but I do like the mini recording setup.
Posted Image

If you are looking for good speakers the Klipcsh 2.1 THX speakers are awesome (shown on the main computer and the laptop 8)), and you can pick them up at best buy for $129! They will be the best speakers you will ever buy. Feel free to ask about anything else that is in the pics.

-Chris

#9 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:21 AM

My work space looks like .... well imagine you have decided to clean out the filing cabinet and had placed/spilled the contents on top of a desk, and then dropped a stack of CDs that slithered all over the piles of paper, and buried in all that is THE BOOK with all the site URLs, server logins, user and client username/password combos, and some extra paper with IMPORTANT information on it there somewher, etc., etc.  and a cup or two and a couple of empties.  Now imagine someone came along and pushed over the piles of paper, cleared a space in the middle and plunked down a laptop.  Get the picture?

Looks like this - and that's after I'd cleared it up ...
Posted Image
Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

#10 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:55 AM

haha mine is a cross between an office, recording studio and a brewery.

Posted Image

but it's mine, and i like it :)
"you have to keep pissing in the wind to learn how to keep your shoes dry..."

I say old chap, that is rather amusing!

#11 Kris

Kris
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:33 PM

I wish I had the same monitor setup as you.

Having more than one screen is very useful, I even struggle at home with just the two after working in my office with three - You really do get used to them. I'll have to order a third for home at some point, it's just finding the time to mount it on the wall...

php & mysql for dummies...busted! okay but you have baily's so i forgive you.

Haha! You caught me! Damn... should have taken that off of the shelf before I took the photo...

If you are looking for good speakers the Klipcsh 2.1 THX speakers are awesome (shown on the main computer and the laptop 8)), and you can pick them up at best buy for $129! They will be the best speakers you will ever buy.

Yeah, Klipsch do make some nice sounding speakers for the money! Nice book collection too by the way.

haha mine is a cross between an office, recording studio and a brewery.

What are those blue and pink things?

#12 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:27 PM

What are those blue and pink things?

empty packets of crisps, Tesco's own brand. one prawn cocktail, the other salt and vinegar.

#13 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

empty packets of crisps ...

And I thought you had taken out the ribbons and let your hair down :)
Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

#14 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:39 PM

empty packets of crisps ...

LoL

#15 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:34 PM

only for you, bigboy :)

#16 oldmanice

oldmanice
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 134 posts
  • LocationIn Your Garden At Night

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:41 PM

redbullmarky,
Have you drunk those two cans?
Join my Froums www.phpbbplanet.com/darkwinter

#17 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

redbullmarky,
Have you drunk those two cans?

no, i left them there to ferment a little longer. only there's a breed of plant growing around the top of them now.

of course i drank them. and quite a few since :)

none today though. that's an old picture.

#18 steelmanronald06

steelmanronald06
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,004 posts
  • LocationOk

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:36 PM

SA is my new hero...not because of the computer set up but because of the hard stuff! Share with me because I could always use a shot after programming.

echo statment
shot
if statement
shot
sql query
shot

hahaha

#19 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member