file manipulation

monotoko

Hiya Guys :)

Could just do with a bit of help with some good ol' file manipulation, what i need to do is grab the source of a page (which i have done) and it is now in an array (it could be in a string if it would be easier?)

I now need to replace the part of the file in between <head> and </head> with a new set of lines, deleting the old ones.

Does anyone know how i would go about such a plan? I cant see any existing functions to do it...i could create one if you guys would just point me in the right direction of which PHP fuctions to use?

A string would be easier for this method.  You need to find the position of <head and </head>.  You then replace all text between first and last string positions.

<?

$text = "<head>This is a sentence one.  This is sentence two.</head>";

$headstart = stripos($text, "<head>");
$headend = stripos($text, "</head>");

$textstart = $headstart + 6;  //length of <head> is added
$textend = $headend;

$textlength = $textend - $textstart;
$replacement = "This is the replacement text";
$newtext =  substr_replace($text,$replacement,$textstart,$textlength);

print "newtext - $newtext";

?>

Hope this helps.

Like javascript, PHP is also able to manipulate a page via the DOM.

So there is existing functionality to do the job it does however require well-formed HTML.

The documentation page of the removeChild method also has an example of how to load a file. (for HTML use $doc->loadHTML() instead of $doc->load() - XHTML should be loaded as XML)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.