Encrypting password in mysqli connection

PigsHidePies

I was wondering if there was a way to either hide or encrypt the password in a connection request to a mysql database. I am using:
@ $db=new mysqli('localhost', 'username', 'password', 'database');

This doesnt seem like a good idea to me to have a plaintext password hardcoded into the script. Any alternatives are appreciated. thanks

one way i like to do it is have my variables set in another file. for instance, i'll have something like this:
[code]
<?php
// inc.config.php
$dbConn = array(
  'user' => 'username',
  'pass' => 'password',
  'name' => 'database',
  'host' => 'localhost'
);
?>
[/code]

then, just require your config file and use the variables in your connection string:
[code]
<?php
require('inc.config.php');
$conn = mysql_connect($dbConn['host'], $dbConn['user'], $dbConn['pass']);
if (!$conn) {
  die("Couldn't connect to database!");
}
mysql_select_db($dbConn['name'], $conn);
?>
[/code]

this way, if you're concerned about security, you could even have this file below your web root to restrict web access and include from there.

hope this helps.

anything you do is going to require you to put your password hardcoded SOMEWHERE, so to me, the method i mentioned above is about the best you're going to get. if someone were to hack your server and have access to the containing file, most likely they'll be able to get to your database without looking at that file anyway, so by that point, it doesn't much matter ;)

[quote author=PigsHidePies link=topic=107270.msg430146#msg430146 date=1157661843]
makes sense, thanks for your help, obsidian.
[/quote]

no problem. keep checking back, because some of the other guys may have some more input on this that i haven't considered in this post.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.