Computer Trouble

ignace

Hi, my Dad recently bought a new computer (Acer M7721) and he has some trouble when I perform a default install of Win7 I experience no problem but as soon as I update his GPU driver (Nvidia GT 230) and reboot the computer only the desktop background shows but no icons or taskbar, probably due to explorer.exe crashing. Any thoughts?

PS When I open Device Manager it shows Windows VGA Adapter as Display Adapter

If explorer.exe is crashing, it'll attempt to reload, and you might experience some.. pauses (as if something is loading).

If the taskbar, desktop etc never shows up, even upon a million and a half thousand reboots. It is probably a corrupted explorer.exe file. Rather than it crashing.

You should be able to do CTRL + ALT + DELETE, and open up Windows Task Manager. Go onto Processes, and see if explorer.exe is actually there. If so, then it loads.. but something else is the problem. You could try closing explorer.exe (if its in the processes tab) I'm not sure if it'll attempt to reload or not.. but it wouldn't cause any harm to see for yourself.

Via the Windows Task Manager, you might possibly in the processes tab, check if something isn't loading. Maybe a specific driver. You might be able to compare two processes (Two computers) to see if somethings not quite right to be able to find what the problem is.

If explorer.exe isn't in the processes tab. Then it isn't loading. Could be due to many reasons including a corrupted file. Sometimes corrupted files display an error. Although if no error occurs.. then maybe its something else thats corrupted aswell? Not quite sure.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.