Any and all suggestions

mistareno

G'day,

I currently do a website for my car club and am about to try re doing it with a CSS (gulp)

I'm only a novice and this is the first and only site I've done. It's had more facelifts than Michael Jackson over the last 2 years and I am after any and all advice on what can be improved upon so the changes can be incorporated into the new CSS website.

Thanks in advance.

The website is [url=http://www.renaultnet.org]http://www.renaultnet.org[/url]

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Its very good for a first time with css. Although Im not too gone on the flash and the text flying it (just appearing would be fine for me) it looks good.

You have your forum well integrated - so well done on that.

It would be nice to color the Navigation Tab according to the current page. At the moment - the Home Navigation tag always remains blue. I would like to see the blue tab to correspond to the current page. - But its only my opinion.

The calender page could do with some "sprucing" up - its just a little plain. Alternately coloured divs would be nice for each news item or each date.

The gallery would be nicer if it was integrated into teh website rather than a pop-up.

Its good as it is, however it needs some more work on integration and dressing up in parts.

-steve

It's pretty good! I like it.

3 comments:

1) the tabs look a bit off. Consider replacing them by a navbar. Use a single gray, not 5 (or so). The blue and yellow are a nice touch, keep that. Lose the bar on mouse over, and use a simple colour hover effect.

2) The text overlayed the image is a good idea, however use a less intrusive effect on lettering. Very annoying when trying to actually read what that says! A simple fade-in will do.

3) Lose the green arrow images. You're already using yellow, blue and a little red, wich is just right. Adding more strong colours makes it look like a carnaval.. :P

I almost forgot:
Other than that, good job!  :)

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=107292.msg432226#msg432226 date=1158002823]
It's great but
1. It was a template(it says it was in the source code
2. It was done in frontpage (you can see the webbot tags, only frontpage does that
3. It's not done in css, but it's done entirely in tables.

[/quote]

Hmmm, maybe you need to read the first post again re CSS.

[quote author=mistareno link=topic=107292.msg430239#msg430239 date=1157674299]

[b]I currently do a website for my car club and am about to try re doing it with a CSS (gulp)[/b]
[b]I am after any and all advice on what can be improved upon so the changes can be incorporated into the new CSS website.[/b]

[/quote]

Apart from that, it is most defenitely [b]NOT[/b] a template...

In the source code you will find many references to files located in the directories 06templatefiles and 06templateimages.

The reason for that is because (strangely enough) the website (as it looks at the moment) was redone earlier this year (06) and the 'template' images (the vertical page labels and all the icons/tags and 'template' images) and files (the top nav bar and the flash slideshow) in it are used across the entire website.

Maybe I should have called them 06baseplateimages and 06baseplatefiles. ???

Overall nice job on the site. I do have a few recommendations though:

1.Get rid of the 'Home' page link on the home page, it isn't needed.
2.Lose the flash. Some people can't view flash due to their OS choice(like me). It not only isnt neccessary but slows the loading of the site as well.
3.Your legal disclaimer at the bottom right of your home page changes width and color upon rollover though it remains the same on every other page. Same goes for the general links on the homepage compared to the rest of your site.Links should all behave the same.
4. Your tabbed browsing is decent but I would lose the gray border above the top upon rollover.

Good luck with the redesign

[quote author=PigsHidePies link=topic=107292.msg433948#msg433948 date=1158213577]
Lose the flash. Some people can't view flash due to their OS choice(like me). It not only isnt neccessary but slows the
[/quote]

Also some people don't have it installed, and can't do so (for permission reasons) or don't want to.

I wouldn't simply 'lose' it, but would recommend using [url=http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/]SWFObject[/url].

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=107292.msg438241#msg438241 date=1158777751]
I don't like the flashing new image above the forum button.
[/quote]
i'd agree 100% with that. animated "statements" on sites - might as well just go back to the dark days of animated GIFs :)
otherwise, however, i think you've done a great job and got the style well and it could easily be on a par/better than a renault site itself: [url=http://www.renault.co.uk/CurrentRange.aspx]Renault UK[/url]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.