Casting variables as the sole security measure

ShaolinF

Hi Guys,

I do the following to GET an id:

$id = $_GET['id'];

There needs to be some filtering/sanitization. I have noticed that many people just cast it as an int and leave it at that. Is that really the best way to approach this issue ? It doesnt look right to me. Im hoping someone can shed some light on this from a secure coding POV.

there is nothing wrong with type casting if that's all it takes to validate data format.  For instance, with pagination.  You are already gonna have condition to make sure number is within range 1-X, so that's covered.  As for the rest of it, forcing the value to int nicely covers everything else: making sure it's a whole number.  Right tool for the right job, sort of thing.

checking with is_numeric() on the other hand can actually let some types of SQL injections through. Strings like "0x01ABCDEF" do return true on is_numeric(), and in some multibyte encodings they can be used to break query.

Ah ok, I didn't know that, time to edit my code :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.