+ category
Then when you click on one like
- category
  +subcategory
  +subcategory
  +subcategory
+ category
+ category
Sort of like expanding and contracting, and still allow it to be cross browser compatible, not really relying on javascript unless necessary

Is there any other  language, I would use flash but
1. I am still learning it, I don't know enough to do that
2. It's in a smaller area
3. I don't want them having to get the plugin
I need this in a confined area, a page, this is where they are posting a listing, it needs to be something that they can use, I think my only 2 options are ajax, or flash though.

well if you don't want to use javascript then you can't use ajax either...but then you would already know that.  you could always do a java applet.  but then people can have that disabled too..i think? I'm not sure. I'm not an expert at all this stuff like you. I think someone with your vast experience in all sorts of stuff could figure out how to do it in flash or java fairly quickly...

I know how to do it in javascript/ajax, it's just these people said the browsers tehy use/plus other users of the site, are going to have javascript enabled, and I didn't want to learn/use flash on an advertising system. 
Am I missing something, I could have sworn all of you were hinting at something:S

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=107342.msg430538#msg430538 date=1157722164]
I know how to do it in javascript/ajax, it's just these people said the browsers tehy use/plus other users of the site, are going to have javascript enabled[/quote]
.... so I don't see the problem here? 

I meant was, I know hot to construct the system in javascript(if I knew flash I would do it with flash), I am trying to get a system set up to figure out whether or not it's going to be cross-browser compatible. I might use a group of switch statements, and create a mini system comprised of get statements, keep feeding the navigation data back to itself, so I can still have all teh information on that one page, If I can't think of something during the planning process, I will create another idea instead.

well i don't really know all that much about javascript, but can't you just do your menu in javascript, and then inside some noscript tags, make a full menu/indented submenu or something, and a message saying 'best viewed with js enabled' or something? that way you can have the nice dropdown menu but provide a means for users to navigate if they have it disabled.  i'm not sure if you can do this though, or if you think that's a viable option even if you can.  Redarrow would know. 

failing that, you could always use frames *eugh*. have your left frame hold the menu, the right frame hold your content, then page refreshes of the menu aren't sooo bad.

failing that, use javascript and be done with it. it'll save you the headache that comes with trying to please a few people at the expense of the majority.

Normally I feel that way, and normally I do, but on this specific project, the website is geared towards college students from various colleges, because of this, by what they said most school computers have javascript disabled, so I have the potential to close out most of the users that will be using the site.

http://www.projectseven.com/products/menusystems/tmm/index.htm

A CSS 'tree' menu ... but it also requires javascript. After some googling, it looks as though a CSS 'tree' menu without javascript is not something that's around.

[quote]most school computers have javascript disabled[/quote]
That might have been mis-stated. I can imagine that most school computers would have Java and/or ActiveX scripting disabled, but javascript is so innocuous that it's only worth disabling if you want to be rid of lots of silly/harmless uses.

I might consider using javascript, I liked the idea earlier, about using javascript, just doing it, and then using noscript tags for people without javascript, I didn't think of that until now, I think that was a good idea, thanks.  I will go through a few ideas, I may not even run with this, it was just a thought process I was going through to see if it worked out.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=107342.msg430626#msg430626 date=1157729556]
Normally I feel that way, and normally I do, but on this specific project, the website is geared towards college students from various colleges, because of this, by what they said most school computers have javascript disabled, so I have the potential to close out most of the users that will be using the site.
[/quote]
frames.....

Along time ago for some unexplainable reason, I swore to myself, I would never resort to using frames.  They are a nice idea, and even I frames, I just don't like the way they function, and when I did some reasearch on them, you can have a major load of issues when programming/designing with them.
I have frames/iframes/tables, and other related technologies, I have started using tables for tabular data however, I might run some test practices on frames later to see how they work, maybe, but not yet.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=107342.msg430903#msg430903 date=1157750522]
..and when I did some reasearch on them, you can have a major load of issues when programming/designing with them.
[/quote]

yep - just like AJAX, PHP, Javascript, HTML, CSS, etc. you can have major issues with everything if you don't do it properly.
otherwise - there's countless examples of frames that are used well, that far remove themselves from the glorious 90's

you are going up the wrong street dont use frames as frames are not metatag friendly you will not get a good position in google or other bot systems.

but if you register a domain name with a proper domain bussiness you will have the opitunty to enter the metatag information within the domain of the doamain host.

i think that if you design your dropdown with css html javasript and ajax you get a better bot responce.

always remember that you can be the best programmer in the world but if you can not see the website then is it worth it lol.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.