About Classes

onlyican

Hey

I am tryna learn this, and quickly

am I right in saying that if I declare a var at the top of a class, I can create a new value of in it

Also

How do I show a var
I am using php 5 on my localhost
I done this simple code

[code]
<?php
class Test
{
var $myname = "jamie";

function ShowName(){
echo $this->myname;
}
}

Test::ShowName();
?>
[/code]

And I get the followering error

Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in W:\www\inc\class_upload_img.php on line 174

174 being the line
echo $this->myname;

Any suggestions

With "ClassName::methodName" you access the method statically. As the method is not declared as "static" this kind of access fails.

You may read the respective (is that the right expression?) entry in the PHP manual:
--> http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.static.php
--> http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.basic.php

Hope to help,
Regards, Ben.

It's not the (lack of) declaration of static that is the actual cause of the error, it is the use of the pseudo variable $this that is the real failing :)

$this is a reference variable to the instantiated object of itself, so without instantiation, there is no object - thus there is no $this :)

btw, you are using PHP5.. you should make full use of the PHP5 OO syntax, namely declarations. They are the sex.

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=107350.msg430558#msg430558 date=1157723511]
[code]
<?php
  class Test {
      var $myname = "jamie";

function ShowName() {
        echo $this->myname;
      }
  }

$blah = new Test;
  $blah->ShowName();
?>
[/code]
[/quote]

That one done the trick

Thanks

My serve is still V4, they should be updating tomorrow. Till then I am playing it safe.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.