Bulk insert

alpine

I have a need to insert approx 400.000 rows once a month, and this is done from parsing 4 text files. Once this is done, i dump the old tables and renaming my new ones.

However - My isp has a insert/update limit of 36.000 rows per hours - so its a real time-spender  :o

Then i was tipped about the bulk insert possibility, from the mysql manual:

[color=blue]INSERT INTO tbl_name (a,b,c) VALUES(1,2,3),(4,5,6),(7,8,9);[/color]

Now, i havent startet rebuilding my update/insert script for this yet, as i'm not sure how many bulks of values i can attatch in one query..... any oppinions on this ? I can hardly imagine that i can insert 100.000 rows on one query like this... or can i ???

It'll come down to your server's max_packet_size setting, usually defaults to ~1MB, so you'd be surprised how much text that is.  You can, of course, determine this dynamically; and with bulk inserts, you should probably be using INSERT IGNORE, if appropriate, and potentially, you should disable the keys and/or lock the table, if possible.

ah, i see.

Thanks.

I just rebuilt my insert parser and now it inserts 10.000 new rows in one query without any probs (havent fount the max_packet_size setting) - i also made a meta-refresh link in 5 sek intervals to parse the textfile until all rows is inserted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.