Lookup New User for existing Email & Username

barkster

I'm looking for a simplier solution to check when creating a new user to see if username or email has already been used.  I know how to do it with SELECT WHERE email or username but I would have to loop through the results to find out which is which if there are one of each already.  Is there a simplier way to find out for instance if I do a select and do something like a in_array to see if for instance if email="currentlookup email" if in array then it found email else it had to have found username match.  Don't want to have to loop through the results unless I have too.  Hopefully I explained correctly.  Thanks

That is what I have now and that only checks to see if username is already taken.  I want to check to see if username or email is already used.  Then I need to determine which it is.  I was trying to do it all in one step  like

[code]
$query = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE username = '".$user."' OR email = '".$email."'";
$result = mysql_query($query);
if(mysql_num_rows($result)>0) {
//then find out which is already taken somehow
} else {
//insert record
}
[/code]

Try this...

[code]
<?php
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = '".$user."' OR email = '".$email."'");
$number = mysql_num_rows($result);
if ($number > 0)
{
    echo 'Username or email already in use.</br> Please go back and use another Email and or Username.';
}else{

}
?>
[/code]

[quote author=onlyican link=topic=107387.msg430935#msg430935 date=1157753435]
thats MySQL 5 and above aint it
or MSQL
[/quote]

mysql -V

mysql  Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.11, for mandrake-linux-gnu (i586)

When I found out 4.1.11 supported it, I jumped for joy  :D

Jeff

Sure it works maxic0,

But it doesn't do what barkster wanted:

[quote author=barkster link=topic=107387.msg430837#msg430837 date=1157744184]
That is what I have now and that only checks to see if username is already taken.  I want to check to see if username or email is already used.  Then I need to determine which it is.  I was trying to do it all in one step  like
[/quote]

With the above query barkster can test or either or both conditions.

Jeff

I am running MySQL V 4.2.1
SELECT MAX(IF(email = '{info@disabledfriends.net}',1, 0)) AS em_dup, MAX IF(username='{jamie}', 1, 0)) AS us_dup FROM findafriend;
and I got

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'IF(username='{jamie}', 1, 0)) AS us_dup FROM findafriend' at lin

(I am using MySQL front, so I dont get all the error

[quote author=onlyican link=topic=107387.msg431027#msg431027 date=1157766141]
I am running MySQL V 4.2.1
SELECT MAX(IF(email = '{info@disabledfriends.net}',1, 0)) AS em_dup, MAX IF(username='{jamie}', 1, 0)) AS us_dup FROM findafriend;
and I got

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'IF(username='{jamie}', 1, 0)) AS us_dup FROM findafriend' at lin

(I am using MySQL front, so I dont get all the error
[/quote]

Sorry onlyican, I was presenting the SQL as if in a string for PHP.

In my PHP, a double quoted string with {$somevar} in it interpolates the '{' and '}' as part of the variable refrence.

To phrase the query more like other examples I've seen here:

[code]
'SELECT MAX(IF(email = \'' . $email . '\',1, 0)) AS em_dup, MAX IF(username=\'' . $user . '\', 1, 0)) AS us_dup FROM findafriend'
[/code]

or for your query for pasting into a mysql interface directly:

[code]
"SELECT MAX(IF(email = 'info@disabledfriends.net',1, 0)) AS em_dup, MAX IF(username='jamie', 1, 0)) AS us_dup FROM findafriend"
[/code]

Jeff

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.