Some odd security results

KevinM1

I tested the admin login form of a site I'm currently building with the SQLInjectMe extension for FireFox.  It claims I have 51 failures, all of which are a 500 internal server error.  Testing the form itself with some of the test strings it used fails to bring up the 500 error, and instead shows my error message, which is the behavior it should be exhibiting.

Should I be concerned about these errors?  I can't reproduce them myself through the form.

While it might not be a security issue, that something could submit data and get a 500 error means that a legitimate visitor could do so as well. Just from a functional standpoint, I would want to know why I was getting a 500 error on a page(s).

Any chance you have any trigger_error('...',E_USER_ERROR) in your code?

While it might not be a security issue, that something could submit data and get a 500 error means that a legitimate visitor could do so as well. Just from a functional standpoint, I would want to know why I was getting a 500 error on a page(s).

Any chance you have any trigger_error('...',E_USER_ERROR) in your code?

Hmm...

I'm using the Kohana framework, so there could be a trigger_error call somewhere in the bowels of the system that's causing it.  I looked over my code in the controller a few times, just to double-check what I've done.  For this particular login form I -

Only allow alphanumeric characters via RegEx

Use Kohana's MySQLi driver, which automatically uses prepared statements

I'm not sure what else I can/should do.

What I'm getting at is the 500 error means that an incomplete (or no) response was sent back due to the http request.

From a php standpoint, that usually happens when there is a fatal runtime error, which using E_USER_ERROR (with error_reporting/display_errors set to prevent any output) or an empty die/exit statement would cause.

What I'm getting at is the 500 error means that an incomplete (or no) response was sent back due to the http request.

From a php standpoint, that usually happens when there is a fatal runtime error, which using E_USER_ERROR (with error_reporting/display_errors set to prevent any output) or an empty die/exit statement would cause.

Kohana's own error reporting generates a runtime error screen with a stack trace upon application runtime error while in testing mode.  However, when a caught error condition occurs, I also use a header redirect to my own, user friendly error screen, followed by an empty exit() statement.  Since when I test the form with the same strings as SQL Inject Me uses I get my own error screen, I'm guessing it's my own exit() call that's doing it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.