Unpleasant end to an awesome week.

trq

In April last year I finally started working as a full time dev at the same place I have been employed (in a completely different role) for the last 11 years. I moved into the IT department and was introduced to my offsider. A real nice girl who isn't a developer, but has been updating images, articles and maintaining about 12 websites with very little dev help or experience.

I was charged with creating a cms capable of serving all our websites (now 16).

Well, around a month ago the project was finally completed. The new cms is awesome and new sites can be created by simply starting a new virtual host, dropping in an index.php file, images etc etc into an assets directory and a pretty straight forward config file into a config directory.

About a fortnight ago it was finally time to move the cms and its entire framework onto a brand new production server. All went well. We (my offsider and I) spent the entire week testing and adding the final changes to the content of all of these sites.

On Monday the new sites where all launched. We had a bbq on Wednesday to celebrate the successful rollout.

Friday lunch time while teaching my offsider some jQuery trickery she got a phone call and had to leave. Half our later our boss came into the IT offices and gathered everyone for a quick meeting. My offsider had been made redundant and was leaving that day.

Fuck! Kinda takes the sparkle off my work knowing that I have written an application that has actually replaced my offsider I have come to know so well over the last 12 months or so. She was slowly trying to bring her skill set to a new level and was always dabbling in jQuery and a little php. She had absolutely no trouble understanding the concept of a view, nor getting her head easily around the simple php syntax that these views required.

It really sux. Probably the worst day Ive ever had in a work place, especially after the week starting out on such a high.

As developers we must learn to accept that our actions get people fired. Think of those many people a company would need to hire if they didn't had:

1) A CMS System

2) A CRM System

3) ..

The process of manufacturing a car took a serious amount of people while now only a few are needed in the entire process as it's almost fully automated. And we call it progress? We are the root of all evil, as we automate more we will eventually make man itself obsolete. :P The Terminator told us in 1984 this would happen, but would we listen?

As developers we must learn to accept that our actions get people fired. Think of those many people a company would need to hire if they didn't had:

1) A CMS System

2) A CRM System

3) ..

What's a CRM System?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.