Email Address Importer

mcmuney

I'm using a form that members can use to invite others to their site, but currently they have to type in the email addresses. Is there a script available that helps to import their address book from whatever source they are using (ie MS Outlook, Hotmail, etc.)??? I'd appreciate any help.

Of course they will have to type in there email address because that sends  the email to them to invite them. Thats the same with www.myspace.com you invite friends and that goes to there email address. And no I dont think theres a way to do what you asked.

It's nothing more than an upload script that parses the format of the specific contact client.  Most of these contact lists are nothing more than CSV-type files.  It wouldn't be hard to write your own and I'm sure you could search the net and find out exactly what formats those programs export to.  And to truly answer your question, you still have to force the user to upload their listing... which may not be easy for some.  The only way to get around that is to use an ActiveX control, which forces your users to use IE and forces them to trust you and install your ActiveX control.

But to truly answer your question, I'm not aware of any OTS scripts that exist, but you may want to check out hotscripts.com or somewhere like that.

be wary of the scripts you find out there. for what they are, they're costly. the idea is using cURL to literally simulate a user logging in, going to their address book, and parsing the page. i think it used to be easier where the address book/contact list, etc, were available through an API but don't think this is the case any longer.

also, you need to watch out for these scripts as they're not 100% reliable at all. when the afformentioned sites (esp. hotmail/yahoo) changed their layouts, structure, etc alot of these scripts literally just break. there are many BIG, popular sites that still have broken 'import' scripts since MSN/yahoo changed their sites.

most reliable way is the old way, unless you're a dab hand with cURL and don't mind trying to keep the scripts up to date at every required moment

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.