Whats your WPM?

PugJr

Avereaged from that site, 90 WPM from 3 seperate tests.

Been a while since I actually type with punctions where you had to get it right to proceed, caught me off guard the first time. Fun little deal though :)

I got 85, but that number doesn't mean much to me. When I'm writing I don't just have a continuous stream of words coming through my mind. I'll actually have to stop and consider what I want to write. Naturally, I can't write faster than I can think of something to write. I know some people don't think about what they're writing though. It's very rare that I'm transcribing text like in this exercise. Also, writing is far from a linear process for me. I'll write something, add something between some sentences, exchange some words with others while I'm writing.

It may well be good being able to score high on such a test, but the test doesn't portray anything that's even remotely near what I do, and I wouldn't imagine that there are very many people who spend a lot of their time transcribing text.

I did 10 tests with 100% accuracy:

High: 96

Low: 84

Average: 88

But fyi if you fix your typos during the test, it doesn't count it as an error, though it obviously hurts your wpm (other tests I've taken count the error regardless of whether you fix it or not; dunno which method is really more accurate :/).  So if I roughly accounted for that, my wpm would be slightly higher but with errors knocking it back down (which I guess more or less evens out to just counting 100% accuracy runs, but idk...)

Also for shits and grins I more or less memorized the paragraph and went balls to the wall and got 136 -> 122.

It was the shear number of Capitals & Numbers that throws me off. I nearly always use my left pinky for capitals which slows me down considerably. and I have to look at the keyboard for anything above the QWERTY line.

Also for shits and grins I more or less memorized the paragraph and went balls to the wall and got 136 -> 122.

Your WMP is different if you need to first read and then type then when you just have to type what comes to your mind. Someone may score average on such a typing test but may have to buy 3 keyboard's a year because of his coding speed.

Your WMP is different if you need to first read and then type then when you just have to type what comes to your mind. Someone may score average on such a typing test but may have to buy 3 keyboard's a year because of his coding speed.

Well, yeah... that's the reason why I did the test multiple times and even memorized the text... your wpm significantly increases if you know what you're typing ahead of time vs. having to read it, process it, and spit it back out.  My testing and posted results were intended to show that distinction.

@CV Yeah I mostly have a hard time understanding what you mean, like "went balls to the wall"  :confused:

If you're from the US I'd be surprised you've never heard of that expression before.  Where are you from?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.