2 replies to this topic

#1 GoodGuy201

GoodGuy201
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:20 AM

Hi,
  I'm trying to use the database of another website to authenticate users in my website.  This way the users at the other websites won't have to register at my website, all I would need to do is verify their name and password using the other website's database.  Is this possible, and if so where do I begin to work on it.

#2 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:31 AM

you connect to it the same way as you connect to your own, except for instead of using 'localhost' you would use the target host's name instead. This does involve having a valid database name, username and password, along with knowing the table and fieldnames for that database, for that other site though..
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#3 lilsim89

lilsim89
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:25 AM

He's right,

If you mean you want to authenticate your users with google for example,
forget it. But if want to use another site that you own or have administrator
access to, that should work fine with the method posted earlier.

If your looking for a site to unify your log-ins, I remember reading of an
open source project, which was rather mature, that 'unified' the way sites
logged users on. I'm sure, if this is the route you want to take, you could
find the project via google or sf.net.

Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users