Connect two computers with one wire

KingOfHeart

I just switched over to a new computer but there's some files I want to transfer from my old computer.

So is it possible just to plug in the mother board with just a single wire just to access the files.

I don't want to use another internet or anything, just one direct wire.

Hi KingOfHeart,

yes you can.

if both pc have network can, you can use network cable "straight"/ pc to pc. then use static ip on both pc, like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2

You don't need to set static ip's, the ip's won't change in this session. And it depends how old is your "old computer"? Otherwise it's possible you can't use a straight cable and will need a cross-over cable to connect both computers.

As long as the network adapter in the new one can detect type of cable used, it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, I figured that out after I could still edit my reply. I didn't bother to create another reply as I was sure someone else would correct me, and they did. Thanks Mchl :)

I'll test after I'm done from work.

By network you don't mean internet, right?

I plan on just using a USB cable and Linking the two like that.

The old one is a windows(XP) 2002

You don't need the USB cable, a regular network cable will do fine (one with a RJ45).

You need a crossover cable... I don't know what all this talk of a straight cable is.

A crossover cable is a regular ethernet cable in which one of the end has the wires reversed.  Well, not exactly reversed, but put into the "other" order.  There are two orders.

T586A

T586B

gbxover.png

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.