Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nomax5

best way for store and find keyword matches php mysql

I'm coding a website link management thing
I'm storing website details: url, title, description, and keywords.

What I want to be able to do is identify releated websites. it doesn't have to be perfect
I present them to the visitors as "possibley related websites"

My initial idea was put the keywords in seperate fields and to do multiple searches one keyword at a time.
but I'm thinking perhaps I should create a full-text index and do something better.
perhaps seach the title and the description also

suppose I had a string of keywords "fish,fishing,fish scales,fish tail, shark,fishing rod"

You guys are usually really good at comming up with ideas, I thought I'd ask for your ideas before I build the tables

Cheers

Roy

I normally do these open searches.  Like I have a form

[code]<form name="searchform" id="searchform" action="whatever.php" method="get or post">
<label for="searchtext">Search</label>
<input name="searchtext" id="searchtext" type="text" maxlength="120" />
<br />
<input name="searchsubmit" id="searchsubmit" type="submit" value="Search It!" />
</form>[/code]

THen you can process it, and when you do, run a special query, with the query have it check everyfield of everydatabase.  With 2 percentages, this makes it guarantee any close match, for any field.
Like this

[code]<?php
$search = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['searchtext']);
$search = strtolower($search);
$select = "SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE url LIKE '%$search' OR title LIKE '%$search' OR description LIKE '%$search' OR keywords LIKE '%$search';";
$query = mysql_query($select);
if ($row = mysql_fetch_array($query)) {
// do whatever
}
?>[/code]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.