PHP Wait Screen

kid_drew

Does anyone know of a good way to implement a wait screen while some large query is being computed?  I can create a wait screen with a nice animated gif and all that, but I'm not sure how to do the timing.  I.e., how do you immediately go to another page after a form submit and wait at that screen until the data is ready then load the results page, or is that even possible in php?

Don't quote me on this but I don't believe there is a PHP "pause" function.  At least not one that is easily done.

I KNOW this can be done with AJAX and I've even seen a few tutorials on the web.  I'm sure Google can help there.  If anything you can use the javascript settime() function (pretty sure that's the one) to give it (x) amount of time before refreshing the page.  Just my 2 cents!

What about the fork() function?  Could you fork to run the query process in the background, run a do/while loop on your wait screen and redirect only when the forked process updates a session variable, or something similar?

I've never used fork, so I'm totally shooting in the dark.

I know this isn't the "best" programming practice but a decent way to half-ass the solution would be to pop open a div when the user presses the submit button.  Basically the page will hang while the query is being performed so the <div> will stay open until the query is finished and the new page loads.

Maybe you could post to a new page that performs the query and throw a header() after the query is performed to redirect to the results.  I'm just throwing things out here = /

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.