Disable save function?

Gregg

Ok, i want to know how i would go about making it sowhen a user trys to,
"Save Page As" it will block it?
I have seen this done of at least 4 diffrent sites but am stumped on how they did it.

I was thinking they did it with php cause it dont show in the source...
Or at least make an alternate "Page" for saving.

I would imagine that this cannot be done.  The only reason why I think that is whether it be Javascript or any other client language the code wouldn't be able to turn off core functions of the browser.  I've never personally seen this done.

On that note, I am sure that there is a way to hide your code using php/javascript so if someone DOES download your site, you can at least hide the code from them.  Google that to see if that works for ya = )

If you are worried that a person is going to steal (borrow) your PHP code, you shouldn't have to worry. The user can only see the generated HTML code, not your PHP. If you want to stop a user from getting the generated HTML, good luck. It might look like it can be done, but where there's a will there's a way. Since the browser needs to see the code to put it on the screen, that code needs to come on to the user's computer. If it is coming over the wire, and someone really wants to get it, they can.

The only way you can keep your code perfectly safe is never to put it on the Internet or an accessible computer in the first place.

Ken

I found it, and i am not worried about my php but other sensitive info.
I just dont want my streaming info loaded on there home pc...
The code i found uses a hidden page as the "save as" page lol. So when they save any of my pages it will download a BLANK page saying NO HACKERS ALLOWED!

[quote author=Gregg link=topic=107702.msg432400#msg432400 date=1158017727]
I have seen this done of at least 4 diffrent sites but am stumped on how they did it.
[/quote]

OK, post the url of any of them. I doubt it's "save-proof" for anyone who wants it.

As Ken noted, it's in YOUR temporary internet files so YOUR browser can display it. Help yourself to what's in your temp files.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.