Excess PHP Temp Session Files not being cleaned.

I've been doing some snooping around my dedicated to try and pinpoint the root of some lag spikes my game server has been encountering. Though I'm not entirely sure if this applies, it doesn't seem right. I'm running IIS7 with PHP 5.2.13. I found a massive (300,000+) number of sess_vvvv7ek73ce8f9hmns5i717762 (example) files in the save path: C:/Windows/Temp/. All but 15 have the prefix "sess_%". I've come to the understanding that these files should be cleaned by PHP every so often to prevent this from happening, though its clear its not actually doing that. I've looked through my php.ini and the most I found was that it was to clean those files after 24 mins or 1440 sec:

session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440

I'm not entirely sure if this is the setting that specifically controls cleaning these files, but this is the best I could find. I've done a fair amount of searching on google but the best result I could find was a batch file that cleared out all "sess_" files every 24 hours.

Does anyone know the cause of this problem? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

- Doug

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.