My computer is a girl! How can I change the TTS voice in Windows 7?

tibberous

That's beyond stupid. The problem with using a 3rd party TTS is that they all generally used MS'es speech API - should be a lesson as to why not rely on anything M$ makes.

I hope they get sued by the blind. I might check out that one they have for Windows and Linux... carnival or something?

I hope they get sued by the blind.

Why would they get sued for only having one voice option? They provide a means for text-to-speech, no one said they had to make 100 different voices depending on your country of origin / gender etc.

It wouldn't be so bad if they had use Mike - Mike was always the best voice, but they made Sam the default, so no one even probably used Mike.

How is Anonymous supposed to make anti-Scientology videos? Run XP in Virtualbox for 10 years? I was just thinking how nice Windows 7 is and how all my hardware is working and M$ goes and screws it up. Still, it does have a drop-down box for language - so maybe there is or is going to be some way to add at least 3rd party voices? Or is that just so Chinese users can pick between language versions of Anna?

If I was blind, I would be pissed off more pissed off. Besides, if they even threatened a suit, Microsoft would spend the couple days to port the old TTS engine just to avoid the press. I'm not asking for them to make a bunch of voices, I'm just asking for them to take the code they already wrote and make it run on Windows 7.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.