Choosing the right framework for me... HELP

ChaosKnight

Okay, so I am very used to PHP, have been using it for about 6 years... In those 6 years I also have about  a years experience in Ruby on Rails and I loved the way that it worked, so neat and secure, all the code has it's place and the best of all - fully object oriented  :o! that was great but then the mishap with Twitter happened and I got scared to use Rails, so I got back on the PHP wagon  ;D, but I still have the desire to use a framework (it's just so much better!)... I started looking at the different frameworks in PHP and saw that there is an awful lot! I don't know which one to choose, I thought about CakePHP, but then I heard the Zend is much more stable and easier to use, I also heard a lot of good things about CodeIgniter and Symfony...

Can anyone please assist and tell me their experiences with some of the different frameworks?

I'm on a shared host that uses IIS, and still has only PHP 4.3.2 and MySQL 3.52, but they offer good services so I decided to stay with them until I find very good reason to go elsewhere...

I mainly work on a tourism site that has a lot, and I mean a lot of content, so I need something very stable and trustworthy...

Any advice?

I'll have to try out both CakePHP and CodeIgniter then and see which I prefer... CodeIgniter attracts my attention seeing that it executes much faster than Cake, but then again I love the rigidness that CakePHP offers... Also, CakePHP reminds me about my Rails days (loved 'em)... But thanks for your help, will first try out CodeIgniter...

I'll have to try out both CakePHP and CodeIgniter then and see which I prefer... CodeIgniter attracts my attention seeing that it executes much faster than Cake, but then again I love the rigidness that CakePHP offers... Also, CakePHP reminds me about my Rails days (loved 'em)... But thanks for your help, will first try out CodeIgniter...

The reason I encouraged CodeIgniter is that it provides prefab classes like Cart

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

You did not mention Smarty, but just in case you do consider itr .. don't. I am locked into a situation where it has to be used and I can tell you that it is "garbage" IMHO ..

Frank

Smarty is not "garbage", you just need to understand it's non-OO plugin-system. That said though I dont use Smarty anymore.

• 5 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.