Suggestions

I plea for a new board 'editors' with at least two sub board, 'Dreamweaver' and 'Zend Studio'. 'Dreamweaver PHP Help' can be moved of course.

While on the subject of boards and subboards, I renew my plea for an 'Application Design' board. I know I got turned down the first time, but hey, can't blame a guy for trying. I more and more see threads that could fit in this category, for example questions about modular design.

Plus, I'd like to see MY solved button back I fought very hard for...  ;D (You can ignore this comment).

Thank you for your consideration.  ;D

[quote author=448191 link=topic=107756.msg432626#msg432626 date=1158058185]
While on the subject of boards and subboards, I renew my plea for an 'Application Design' board. I know I got turned down the first time, but hey, can't blame a guy for trying. I more and more see threads that could fit in this category, for example questions about modular design.
[/quote]
i'd go with this one, too.

To be honest, I've been on the PHP Help boards a fair amount lately, and I don't see the need for an Application Design board.  Few questions, IMHO, are actually about design that can't be handled with a particular coding answer.

As far as the "editors" request, I don't really see the need for this either.  And even if we did, there wouldn't be "subboards".  That would be overkill.  I will think this over and discuss it with the other mods, however.

By the way, an SMF developer is nearly complete with the "solved" feature.  That will be added in VERY shortly. 

We are working on a handful of other things as well.  This community is about to grow, maybe two-fold.

Pardon me for pushing this.

I just feel it would be nice to have board where the more interesting stuff is discussed.

It wouldn't just hold questions on modular design, but practicly everything that is interesting to users that have advanced beyond the newbie questions.

[list]
[*]General application structures
[*]Framework implementations
[*]Custom template engines
[*]OOP structures
[*]Advanced SQL and database design
[*]Advanced error and exception handling
[*]Caching (server- and client/proxy side)
[*]Good coding practices
[*]Many more things for users more familiar with php than the typical newbie
[/list]

You're saying this community is about to grow two-fold. Then you need to better divide threads. I agreed with the descition to remove the 'newbie' board, as too many newbies where posting in 'PHP Help'. To prevent the same thing happening with the proposed board, I suggest to limit allowed topics to a number of categories, the list above could be a start. Also, If you have a list of categories, it is clear to a moderator when to move a topic from 'PHP Help' to 'Application Design' (or whatever you want to call it).

But maybe you are right there aren't THAT many threads that would fit into this category RIGHT NOW.

But creating a board like this is about more than just pulling some threads from PHP Help to improve categorization.

It's also about creating a 'breeding ground' to help coders advance to the next level. Once a board like this has SOME popularity (wich might take some time), you'll attract more 'advanced' users.

Of course, selfish as I am  :P,  I wouldn't be proposing this if I didn't think I would benefit myself from such a board. I've grown as a coder, but there are still very many things I would like to learn. These things are however less about the actual code, but more about the structure of parts of my application. I am finding it more and more complicated to find the answers to the questions I have.

Also, I, and probably many others with me, would find it more rewarding to answer questions in this board.

Alright.  Valid argument.  I tell you what.  I will create the board.  I will ask the other mods to push threads that would fit into this into that board.  I will give it at least 2 weeks, maybe a month.  If it doesn't get much traffic, it's gone.  That's the philosophy on some of the other boards we've created recently.  If they don't take off, they're going to get cut.

Sound good?

[quote author=ober link=topic=107756.msg432712#msg432712 date=1158069425]
Alright.  Valid argument.  I tell you what.  I will create the board.  I will ask the other mods to push threads that would fit into this into that board.  I will give it at least 2 weeks, maybe a month.  If it doesn't get much traffic, it's gone.  That's the philosophy on some of the other boards we've created recently.  If they don't take off, they're going to get cut.

Sound good?
[/quote]

Sounds good. Thanks.

Just to give it a fair chance, could you list some of the categories in the board's description, and add a sticky with a full (and expandable by proposal) list of valid categories?

[quote=ober]And I suppose we could change "Dreamweaver" to "Editors".  To be completely honest, I had forgotten that we had a Dreamweaver board.[/quote]

You're right two child boards would be overkill. But maybe you can add references to dreamweaver and zend studio in the description?

good move, me thinks. i think that before php5 there wasn't as much need to think about stuff like modular/OOP/etc, design but now...

448191, not sure how much you do/dont know in terms of the whole application side of things or whether you're still learning, but if you'd care to share a few thoughts on MSN at some point with regards to something i'm currently working on...i'll be posting possibly a fair bit in the new forum, but at this stage i don't necessarily want to make everything completely public. cheers

[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=107756.msg432890#msg432890 date=1158080494]
good move, me thinks. i think that before php5 there wasn't as much need to think about stuff like modular/OOP/etc, design but now...

448191, not sure how much you do/dont know in terms of the whole application side of things or whether you're still learning, but if you'd care to share a few thoughts on MSN at some point with regards to something i'm currently working on...i'll be posting possibly a fair bit in the new forum, but at this stage i don't necessarily want to make everything completely public. cheers
[/quote]

I'd say I'm 'still learning'. Which is why I want this board so badly. It is very hard to find good advice on the new board's main subject, the actual structural design of php appplications. I'm investing a lot of time in coding right now, but I really need a solid base to develop applications the way I'd like to. Starting right now I'm going to hunt for readable resources relevant to php on this subject, and will post them in the new board.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.