Issue with arrays -- saving multiple coordinates

Jax2

Hi all,

I have a list of map coordinates that need to be saved to a database -- the coordinates look similar to this:

1,3  or 129,45 ...etc

I have set up a text entry for each set of coordinates (There will be up to 10 total per person) and I am trying to add them to my database.

Here is the code for the first section (Data Entry I'll call it)

<td align="center">
<input type="text" name="coord[]" size=8>
	</td>
	<td align="center">
<input type="text" name="coord[]" size=8>
	</td>

I have 10 of those total.

Now, on the actual database code, which I am trying to store it into the database with, I am using:

for ($i = 0; $i < 10; $i++)
{
              if ($coord[$i] != "")
	{
                 $sql = "insert into coords (playerID, coord) values ('$playerID', 'coord[$i]')";
                 $result = mysql_query($sql ,$con);
   		}
}

The code inserts the correct number of records, along with the correct playerID, the problem is, instead of coords like 12,140, I am getting the following:

coord[0]

coord[1]

coord[2]

coord[3]

...etc, instead of

...etc

I am not sure why this is happening. I have made sure to call my variable ( $coord=$_POST['coord'];

so it should be showing up correctly. I am using the same code in another script for ingredients in recipes and it works perfectly fine.

Any suggestions would be helpful! Could it be the , inbetween the numbers that is causing the problem?

In this line:

<?php
$sql = "insert into coords (playerID, coord) values ('$playerID', 'coord[$i]')";
?>

coord[$i] is a literal, since you forgot the "$" in front of it.

<?php
$sql = "insert into coords (playerID, coord) values ('$playerID', '$coord[$i]')";
?>

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.