how to make a printer friendly page

radalin

I would like to prepare a printer friendly version of my pages. But I do not exactly know what to do. The idea is to replace images and links with nothings, that i will do with regex's and other things. But I'm using a template system and a user system which changes things if logged in or not. So for this I need something which will parse the whole page and then it will create a printer friendly version.

I have read for a printer-friendly version with css, but It doesn't seem ok with me, as there are lots of pics and other things in the page. Not only css is possible but a whole template can be ok. Which means lots of more work for me, so I do not want to do it till I have to

I have found some prepared scripts one of them works well (web2printer) but it does not show user's only things. Is it something encountered?

Any ideas on how to solve web2printer's problem or is there a way to assign the parsed page to a text variable (just like it shows me on the browser's view source page. After that I can manipulate the rest I think.)

create a separate style sheet and add the media="print" attribute....

only background images should be left out of your print.

the hard copy of yoru site will rarely require to be printed out exactly as th site looks - while the site should have a professional look and feel, the job of a hard copy is very different - people just want to read the article the don't need all the headers and navigation menus etc etc

Hmmmmm I hadn't thought that way while I had read print view css. Now all I will have to do is to put all images in divs and make them not visible for the printable page.

When someone clicks on the print page it will use the meia print and it wont be any problem. Did I understood good?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.