PHP as a scrpting language. replacement for perl?

drkstr

I do a lot of perl scripting for my Linux desktop and server, and was wondering how PHP held up as a replacement.

Does is support command line parameters? If so, how are the accessed in the PHP script?

Also, does it support a shebang ( #!/usr/bin/php at the top of the file ), or do I have to tell it to run the script manually with 'php script name'?

I would like to start doing my scripting in PHP since it's a much better language. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
...drkstr

[quote]I do a lot of perl scripting for my Linux desktop and server, and was wondering how PHP held up as a replacement.[/quote]

What kind of scripting? Yes--PHP supports all of these things.

[quote]I would like to start doing my scripting in PHP since it's a much better language.[/quote]

It's a much [i]different[/i] language. I do things in Perl that I wouldn't even try in PHP.

[b]Update[/b]: Oops. Sorry for the topic move; fixed.

[b]Update[/b]: See [url=http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,107138.0.html]this[/url] topic.

Thanks for the link. After a litle bit of reading up on the pros/cons, I don't think I'm ready to give up on perl quite yet. I am going to give it a shot for this project however. I wanted to analyze my log files and store info in a database, and I think I can put my new found PHP knowledge to use with this.

After some more reading, I found what I needed to get started. $argc is the number of arguments, and $argv is an array that contains command line arguments.

Thanks for the pointer to the right direction!
...drkstr

**edit**
Just wanted to clear something up. I meant no disrespect when I said PHP was a better language. perl was actually my first language, so it will always hold a place in my heart. I'm a big OOP person however so I was excited when I started learning PHP. For the same reason, I'm thinking of picking up python at some point.

[quote author=drkstr link=topic=107798.msg433236#msg433236 date=1158122109]
I wanted to analyze my log files
[/quote]

What does this involve? Lots of regex? Analyzing log files is where Perl excels. Out of curiosity, how many years have you been using Perl? Have you grasped/used the more advanced features, e.g., CPAN/modules, <>, map, grep, custom sorts, lists, slices, contexts, references (out the wazoo)?

It actually does involve a bit of log analizing, which perl is great for. I wanted to give php a shot with this project though, just to se  how it held up. The thing I really liked about PHP was how easy it was to take it to the next level. I started out doing a simple log mining to building an andvanced method for generating data reports based on whatever criteria you want, date ranges, IP ranges, service protocols, or a combenation thereof. I'm not saying this isn't possible in perl, but I think in a very object oriented kind of way and it was easire for me build complex data objects in this mindset, then the more linear perl approach. I am however, going to stick to perl for the simpeler tasks since I like it's low level syntax more. And it's regex kicks!

[code]CPAN/modules, <>, map, grep, custom sorts, lists, slices, contexts, references (out the wazoo)?[/code]Not to long, I've only been using Linux for about a year now. Never I am a big fan of all the other trickery you mention though. Building objects as multidemensional arrays was fun (that is, if you like pain ..which I do). I guess I should look into some more of the advanced features you mentioned, such as 'map' (not really sure what that is).

Thanks for the replies! This has been a fun learning process for me!
...drkstr

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.