Browser Discussion

ober

*lights torch*

Alright... this has been debated in the past pretty heavily.  We've had some new versions come out over the past few months, so I think it's worth revisiting.

SO!  Post your browser and version and provide at least 5 reasons why (detailed if unclear) you think you're running the best browser out there.

[list]
[*]Wand - username/password manager.. better than FF's and it even clicks the enter button!
[*]Paste and Go - copy link, right click in address bar and hit paste and go... saves time
[*]Most builit-in functionality out of the box
[*]Most standards compliant browser in existence
[*]Super fast
[/list]

I assume you are talking about Opera?

I use FF. I can't say one way or the other if it's better than Opera. I've never really tried Opera.  I do like FF better than IE.  Things seem to load faster, and I like the dev mods you can download for it.  I have this little eyedrop on the bottom left corner of my browser and i can grab color info easy.  In one of the dev mods i have, i can show form passwords. It's come in handy several times, because sometimes when I forget a pw to a place i haven't been to in a whiles, It's faster than going through the whole pw reset routine.  I like the tabbed browsing.  I do have IE's latest installed, with the tabbed browsing. It seems a lot slower, and their default contol layout sucks, IMO. 

I guess I could give Opera a try and see if I like it better than FF though.

yeah i have to admit i have a soft spot for opera, although it's not a browser i've adopted full-time.

mine is Firefox:
[list]
[*]i like anything that makes others shake up their practices and raise their game. IE is probably so crap because, lets face it, they COULD get away with it as they had no popular competition really. it's like a government with a weak opposition.
[*]tonnes and tonnes of extensions to make it work exactly how you like. i have coloured tabs (which is more useful than it sounds), alexa rank/google pagerank section, 3rd mouse button support, etc.
[*]stable/reliable. very rarely crashes.
[*]secure
[*]trusty popup blocker never lets me down, as do the other "anti-intrusion" tools.
[/list]

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=107804.msg432914#msg432914 date=1158083696]
I guess I could give Opera a try and see if I like it better than FF though.
[/quote]
do it. first thing you'll notice is the speed - it's immense. however, whether it makes you want to keep it as your primary browser is a different thing, but not down to any particular 'bad' reasons apart from just "what you know".
as i develop a few 'back-end' applications, i don't like the fact that you cant (as far as i know) override the context menu. i didnt like the lack of support for opacity (i think i have a beta version now, which DOES support it - however, i don't know whether it's supported yet in actual release versions)

My browser is ... depends on what I'm doing/where I'm at. Five reasons is waaaay too many for me.

Home - 95% Firefox, plus IE, Opera, Moz for testing purposes.  However, I cheat towards IE when developing (as opposed to surfing) since it supports the incredible Accessibility Toolbar that puts me one click away from all sorts of validation, sizing, accessibility testing, etc.

Work - IE ... it's the corporate standard and that counts as 5 good reasons.

I primarily use firefox as my browser.  Have for a while now and like the web dev toolbar.  I use safari when I'm on a mac at work sometimes.  IE and opera for testing only.  And Konquerer on my slackware box sometimes because I run KDE and it seems to be the fasteset option.  I also have an ubuntu box that I use at work sometimes that I have firefox on with gnome.

I mainly use FireFox in my Windows machines although I do have an array of other browsers installed for testing purposes. I switch between FireFox and Camino on my Mac as FireFox isn't as stable for the Mac as it is for Windows (my experience anyway).

Reasons why? It works, and it has extensions.

I'm sure Opera is really cool, but the only thing that puts me off, and this may sound silly, is the form buttons. Do they still look like they belong in OS X?

See, I think a lot of the things that people find "wrong" with Opera is the interface.  And I think the biggest thing they're missing is the skin-ability of it.  Allow me to post a screenshot of mine.

EDIT: Geez... I had to modify some board settings to even make this happen and that didn't go well and ... AHHHHHHH!

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.