Phone Numbers - PHP is subtracting them.

aesthetics1

Hello,

This is probably something quick and simple.

I have a web form that is entering information into a database, specifically a phone number in 555-555-5555 format. My SQL Query looks like this:

$sql = "INSERT INTO $database.`service` (`customer_no`, `serial`, `phone`) VALUES ($customer_no, $serial, $phone)";

which outputs values like this:

VALUES (number, number, 555-555-5555)

my problem is, when the phone number is entered into the database, it isn't putting "555-555-5555" it's putting in -5555 (The difference of 555 minus 555 minus 5555...)

How can I stop this from happening in this instance?

Phone numbers, despite being called numbers are actually formatted strings of numeric digits and separator characters. I also hope your field type in your table is not numeric because only the first three characters before the first - will be stored in a numeric field.

You need to surround your phone numbers in single-quotes so that they will be treated as a string instead of a mathematical expression.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.