Need some PhotoShop help

KevinM1

I've never been graphically inclined, but I can normally figure out how to do what I need to do in order to get some not-quite-horrible graphics work done in PhotoShop.  Unfortunately, that's not the case today.  I'm trying to create some sprites for a CSS rollover effect, and it's not quite going as planned.

Here's what's happening:  I successfully made a smaller graphic that has the button background tiled on top of itself, and I copied the text layer over.  The problem is that at either side of the text there should be a vertical gray line, but for some reason the lines aren't copying over from the overall layout PSD to the button PSD.  I'm guessing it's because I created them using the straight line tool and it created a shape with a mask.  I've copied the entire layer - shape and mask - but for some reason the line won't display (yes, I double-checked that it was supposed to be visible).  Rasterizing the layer doesn't help.

Any ideas?  I'd just use a text or-bar, but it would be a pain to get the spacing right.

I successfully made a smaller graphic that has the button background tiled on top of itself, and I copied the text layer over.

Create a Smart-Object (select all layers including masks et cetera) of your original and create a copy. On your copy right-click edit contents, a new window opens, adjust as needed and save (the changes are reflected in your main document). Besides this advantage does it also allow you to stretch your graphic without loss of data (it does not become blurry and pixelated).

This will also solve the other problems.

PS It would help if you included an image of the current button so we can visualize your text.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.